Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a Mac User to Do?

Smile What is a Mac User to Do?

My effort to make MSTS compatible with my Mac (MacBook Pro 17" with Intel Core Duo, 2.16 Ghz) by adding Parallel met with frustration as there seems to be programs that Parallels does not support. So my question, for any Mac users out there, is how would you set up my computer to run with MSTS (and is there an updated version)? I am no interested in programming or building layouts but in using existing one and learning the operation of steam locomotives. Any insight would be appreciated.

Blueowl
    Last edited by blueowl; 12-30-2007 at 10:30 AM.

Install a copy of Windows XP on that Intel powered Mac. Boot into windows when you want to run MSTS. This is the only solution I know for the Mac.

-- OR --

You could also get a second windows machine to run MSTS.
    Last edited by drjoe; 12-30-2007 at 11:20 PM. Reason: making it clearer that there are 2 suggestions.

blueowl,

No need for the purchase of a PC just to run MSTS. If the Parallels software isn't working, the best option is probably a dual boot. See the link below.

http://www.macwindows.com/winintelmac.html

I am very much interested in running Windows based applications on Mac. Please post a reply to this thread and let us know how you made out.

Gary Cameron

I have tried to run MSTS on a MacBook Pro using CrossOver. It doesn't work because MSTS thinks there is no hardware acceleration. CrossOver is supposed to have direct X support, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I have windows machine for running MSTS, so not being able to use MSTS on my Mac is not a big deal.

TrainMaster 4 and Train Dispatcher 3 both work with CrossOver.

Doug

Default First approach

Thanks for the feedback on this. The problem I had with the older version of Parallels is that it, too, did not offer Direct X support. I have just upgraded to the new version, designed to run with OS 5.x, as I thought the best place to begin was with what I already have. Of course, the download will not open and I am in touch with Parallels trying to fix the problem. I will let you know the outcome.

Blueowl

Get a real computer?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I like VMWare Fusion for my Macbook Pro. Never used Paralelis, but I've gotten MSTS running before on Fusion. Also runs Linux flawlessly

Quote Originally Posted by Erick_Cantu View Post
    Get a real computer?
    How would a Unix system help here?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    Me neither.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by obo View Post
    How would a Unix system help here?

Me neither.

Rob.
    Hee!

Default Last effort with Parallels

It has taken a bit to get Windows running properly on Parallels but that problem is now solved. My hope was that the newer version of Parallels would cure all ills. But what remains are difficulties running MSTS. Here is the full story.

When I purchased the original Parallels over a year ago, one of my goals was to be able to run Microsoft Train Simulator. When I inquired why it did not work, I was told that that version of Parellels lacked DirectX but that the new one would have this, which it does. Because the native DirectX 7 was not adequate, I turned on DirectX 9 as per the handbook instructions. This made a modest difference. But the problems I first encountered persist, i.e., the running train looks like a series of still shots and lacks fluidity. It is also slow. And the cursor goes wild after a bit, with long delays in its movement and a lack of accuracy. To be specific, here are my questions:

1. The version of MSTS I have is 1.4. Is there a newer or updated version? I want to make sure I have the most up-to-date version.

2. Is there something else that I need to add or do to Parallels to solve the problems?

3. Is there now a good manual not on programming but on adding new locomotives, cars and routes?

Cheers,
    blueowl
    p.s. see next post
    Last edited by blueowl; 01-16-2008 at 11:55 PM.