Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exclamation Free Play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, the bang key got stuck.

Only one Free Play allowed per route, why do they give you the option to place more free roam scenario markers?

Okay, I can set this for a different season & weather and add some trains;

Select Free Play;

Get whatever the first free roam is, what's the point?

Give them different names and go in thru the Scenarios, Einstein, then you CAN have more than one!

Nightime free roam;

Winter snow free roam.

All three work the same as Free Play since apparently Free Play is merely a shortcut to the first free roam scenario in the list, go in the side door and you can have more than one free play! How many? Dunno, Otto and I will work this out and get some kind of test posted ASAP, probably about ten or twelve to start with. Good thing the windshield wipers work!

Going to test that tomorrow, almost bed time for me now !

Looking at that night scene reminds me that I have not heard from anybody why there are no locos headlight beams showing at night !

Take care, O t t o.

Correct me if I am wrong Jim, But I or anyone else who gets the sim right now can only do the explore mode once and then you have to run the scenarios that are provided with the routes?

I ask this, Because I mostly run "explore mode" in MSTS as I very rarely run activities that others create. Sometimes, I create my own activities and run them, But not always.

Could not resist testing this before going to bed, knowing damn well that if I did not I would be thinking about this and not be able to go to sleep !

There does not seem to be a limit of how many Free Roam or other Scenarios can be created:

The downside of doing this is that creating a new scenario wipes out all services of a previous one.

It would be better to use the default scenario with all it's available services and just change the weather and season as required !

O t t o
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Let Freedom Ring

Hmmm, how do we put this, Free Play or Free Roam is same-same MSTS explore route, difference being you're limited to whatever services are in there already, can't choose a consist, weather, season, and time of day, gotta go with what's preprogrammed. Good side is loose consists and as many different services as you feel like making.

"can only do the explore mode once", no, you can do it as many times as you want, up until now I was under the impression there was only one allowed per route and you had to play that one every time you wanted to explore. Not so, apparently, want different free play scenarios with freight or passenger trains, want different weather, seasons, or day/night, just create different free roam scenarios for each type and go thru scenarios to get there instead of clicking on Free Play. The default routes only include one "Free Roam" scenario for each (the "Free Play" button is merely a shortcut to the first "Free Roam" scenario in the list, and there being only one in the list for each default route, and only one automatically created for new routes, I assumed that was all that was allowed), so out of the box with no addons you're limited to that. Before the dev tools we had a "scenario editor lite" that would only do free play, not standard scenarios, and that's all I'm using here.

Good news here is primarily for computer dummies, instead of having to figure out how to use the editors to change time of day, season, weather, or available services (which really isn't that hard, but everything is hard for computer dummies ), the route developers can include enough different free roam scenarios to keep the dummies busy until the next version comes out. Eventually we'll include standard scenarios with AI traffic as well as an assortment of free roam scenarios, gotta get all the swizzled bools sorted out first.

Thanks jim for the explanation. I appreciate that.

jivebunny Guest

Hmm, this is nothing new. All of the scenarios I have made have been free play. I have about nine or ten just for the Oxford - Paddington route..

Exclamation NOW he tells us!

Hee-hee, that's why a lot of this stuff ain't documented, they assumed we already know all this. It's news to me, so what else do you know that you've been holding out on us, hey?! Ve haf vays of making you talk!

Hmmm, cloning, let's think KUJU here.

Start in my original (we'll call that one the "master" free roam, since that's the one and only scenario the Free Play button takes you to) free roam, got loose consist coaches everywhere and half a dozen or so services scattered about.

Place new free roam scenario marker, since this is new it's empty.

Well, let's see, all the labels, location, and assorted other info for every route is in the routes.xml file, so to clone a route we make a new, empty route with a different name, then copy the contents of the original route's folder to the new route's folder. Could the main scenarios.bin in the root of each route's folder be the same, having the name, time, season, and weather along with which subfolder of the scenarios folder to look in? Worth a shot;

Copy the scenarios.bin from the master free roam folder (it's the oldest file date) to the newest folder, which is currently empty since I saved the new scenario without adding any services. If I had added a service it would be overwritten, so it don't really matter.

Bang, my new scenario now has a different starting time, season, and weather with all the services and loose consists that the original had.

Obviously we'll want to make a few changes here and there so they're not completely identical aside from season/weather/time, but it will speed up the process of making new ones.

jivebunny Guest

Huh?? Just place a new "Free roam scenario" marker down wherever you like and give it a new name! No need to mess about copying route folders etc!

One thing I miss from MSTS Explore route that can't seem to be done in RS is that in MSTS you could start from a choice of start and end points for a given route. All the Free Roam points in RS seem to start somewhere in the middle of the route. Or have I missed something?
    Arthur