Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: My newest project

I personally see nothing wrong with the textures, other than James's "5" should be a good bit bigger, perhaps, 2-2.5x bigger.

Red face You're right

Is this better?

Cheers,
    Kerry

Steam Rules!

BTW, where can I find any of James' faces as used in the TV series?
    Cheers,
    Kerry

Steam Rules!

The "5"'s MUCH better now, yes. On the faces...You might try a face-on screenshot, but I think most of those are with James being angry...

I'm sure someone here'll get one that'll work.

Excellent work re-sizing the parts, couldn't have done better myself.

The red is not as harsh as other models I have seen, but it still looks as if it could be a touch more subtle, just so its intensity is not too harsh in the sim.

This said, the original model did have (and the latest ones just the same) a very intense red paint job (which often caused a smearing effect on the VHS transfers from the original 35mm shots), but such effect should be kept at a minimum in the simulator.

And how do you split the end polygons off?
    (EDIT: Added some photos in case any TSM beginners are reading as well):

Say we start with a boiler with smoothing:

Select the part, move to polygon mode, use the "mouse select" cropping tool to select the end polygons (or, if necessary, use the arrow keys to filter through the polygons and select the individual ones you wish)

Follow with Part > Split Part. (I split off both ends in this case, and removed the polys from the cab end entirely, considering that the sample project is a boiler)

Rejoin by selecting both original and split part and use Part > Join Selected.

Voila, completed boiler/wheel/wheel cover/etc poly smoothing corrected with parts re-joined.

So long as you do not snap to grid afterwards, the polys should be split properly, smoothing-wise.

-Kurt
    Last edited by TrirailF40PHL; 03-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Incidentally, I thought I'd share this image:

This screenshot serves as a good example as to the versatility of splitting parts for smoothing. The main hood of the locomotive is smoothed, but you might note that the pointed edge of the hood's end is not smoothed between each side until the hood curves up to the edge of the roof (I have to join points manually in this case). Similar splitting was done to the lower polygons under and at the rear of the dynamic brake blister.

Most all of the smoothed parts on this unit have been split in one way or another - roof fans, horn, gas tank, Blomberg trucks, HEP exhaust muffler section, etc. If you know when and how to split (and in some cases, re-join) your parts, it'll make one's models that much better. You might notice the camper-style AC units over the cab have an unusual amount of smoothing, but considering the smooth shape of the AC units in actuality, I didn't want to split the flat rear end of the casing from the rear for risk of creating an artificial line down the part.

-Kurt

Very nice! Thanks for the tip - the model looks much more realistic, not blocky. How do you do this for more complex parts? For example, where the rearmost splasher on my model blends into the cab. The rear splashers and cab are one part, so how would you make it so that only the round surfaces are smoothed (tops of splashers, cab roof, the curved cab cutouts, etc.)?
    Last edited by steamgeek; 03-01-2008 at 09:06 PM.
    Cheers,
    Kerry

Steam Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by steamgeek View Post
    For example, where the rearmost splasher on my model blends into the cab.
    This said, as you are using alpha channels on the windows, the only curved sections you need to smooth are the fronts of the splasher, and the cab side cutouts. Go to poly-selection mode on this part, filter through the polys and select only the polys that comprise the curved splasher area, and BOTH sides of the curved cab contour. Split this, poly smooth it, and do NOT join it back to the non-smoothed cab. Do this only after you've decided the mapping is 100% perfect, and make sure to back up this model in case the two parts shift position (don't even ask how) later on.

Incidentally, are they one part or separate? Just curious, for a two-part piece will almost guarantee that there will be an odd gap or some form of overlap at the joint between the splasher and cab.

One suggestion about the windows - make the openings on the cab panels (on the main texture) 100% transparent, and use a separate glass texture and two-sided poly between these cab panels to represent the window. This will prevent loss of texture quality and your color range on the main textures due to the 8-bit alpha that will be instead used on the windows.

-Kurt

The reason I asked is because what I did was select all polygons except the ones comprising the rounded areas, split them, then applied the polygon smoothing to the rounded parts half and undid the smoothing for the flat parts half, then parented one half to the other, so what seems like one part is actually two. I did the same for the firebox and main tender body. Is this kind of what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by TrirailF40PHL View Post
    One suggestion about the windows - make the openings on the cab panels (on the main texture) 100% transparent, and use a separate glass texture and two-sided poly between these cab panels to represent the window.
    Do you mean the polygons comprising the width of the cab? Or do I just have to make the window glass area on the texture transparent and then put a transparent two-sided polygon in that area on the model?
    Cheers,
    Kerry

Steam Rules!

The reason I asked is because what I did was select all polygons except the ones comprising the rounded areas, split them, then applied the polygon smoothing to the rounded parts half and undid the smoothing for the flat parts half...
    Pretty much the same thing with a different strategy, although the parenting of the two parts was not technically required.

Do you mean the polygons comprising the width of the cab? Or do I just have to make the window glass area on the texture transparent and then put a transparent two-sided polygon in that area on the model?
    The latter is correct. Create a single poly, duplicate it, flip it in relation to the other, then resize it to fit in the window area of the model between the cab walls.

Take care,

-Kurt

P.S.: Not sure if you have done so or not, but I just realized that the top of James' firebox can probably use smoothing as well.