Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BNSF Powder River Basin sneak preview

Default BNSF Powder River Basin sneak preview

Thought I post some screens of the soon to be released PRB route called Coal Country: The Orin Line. These screens are about three weeks old, so things have changed in the meantime. They are taken on the Orin sub (Donkey Creek Jct., Black Thunder, North Antelope), the Black Hills sub (Moorcroft) and the Butte sub (Hemingford).
    Last edited by sgtbean; 08-01-2008 at 06:44 AM.
    - Coal Country: The Orin Line
    - Alameda Corridor: Track: 100%
    Building even more warehouses...

lelandfletcher Guest

Dear Sgt. Bean,

Looks great!

Yours truly,
    Leland

that looks really nice. where will this be available?
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

Default Orin Line

Boy it has been years since I saw anything on this route...I thought sure it got lost in the cracks...I mean tracks. I think that is triple track mainline going to the Powder River coal mines. Can you give us details about what the route is like? Number of yards and their location, number of spurs for switching or is it simply coal from mine to yards?

It will take a lot to hold my attention...that Nebraska scenery is more barren than the deserts of the southwest. I hope there are some other areas that will create interest. Please share a good description...I'm not real excited right now.

Bob Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbean View Post
    Thought I post some screens of the soon to be released PRB route called Coal Country: The Orin Line. These screens are about three weeks old, so things have changed in the meantime. They are taken on the Orin sub (Donkey Creek Jct., Black Thunder, North Antelope), the Black Hills sub (Moorcroft) and the Butte sub (Hemingford).

Quote Originally Posted by oakpalms View Post
    I think that is triple track mainline going to the Powder River coal mines. Can you give us details about what the route is like? Number of yards and their location, number of spurs for switching or is it simply coal from mine to yards?
    Well, without writing an entire book about it, the route basically covers the Orin sub (yes, it's entirely triple track main, with some 20 miles of 4 track main), the Reno sub and the Campbell sub, which have all the mines on it. The route also includes the Black Hills and Butte subs, which runs from Gillette to Alliance over Crawford Hill. So although coal traffic makes up the majority of traffic, there's also intermodal and grain going over the route.

The yard at Alliance is the biggest on the route, which is used to block and cut coal trains and serves as an engine and car maintenance hub.

Gillette has a small yard as well, as do Newcastle, Crawford and Edgemont. There's also an interchange with the DM&E at Crawford and there's a number of industries along the route that ship and receive by rail.

Quote Originally Posted by oakpalms View Post
    It will take a lot to hold my attention...that Nebraska scenery is more barren than the deserts of the southwest. I hope there are some other areas that will create interest. Please share a good description...I'm not real excited right now.
    Well, since it was my aim to keep things prototypical, I can't make Nebraska look more interesting than it does in real life :-D

Quote Originally Posted by CRQ5508
    that looks really nice. where will this be available?
    I will upload this route to the File Library. That'll hopefully happen within the next week, but my aim is to have it up by the end of April. All that really needs to be done now is replace the signals with Jovet's excellent prototypical signals, which he's finishing up at this time and they will look great on the route.

lelandfletcher Guest

Dear Sgt. Bean,

It sounds even better! Does it include Bill, WY?

Yours truly,
    Leland

Yep, Bill is in there too. The Orin sub is covered from Donkey Creek Jct. (MP 0) to Shawnee Jct. (MP 118)

Everything between Gillette in the west, Alliance in the east, Shawnee Jtc. in the south and Buckskin Mine in the north is included in the route.

Hello Sgt Bean,
    Is this the same route that was to be released by Digital-Rails? or is this your own freeware version of the Power River Basin route? The screen shots look great
    Last edited by Richard; 03-28-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Rich S.

No, it's not the Digital Rails version. It's my own project I've been working on for the past 3.5 years. ;-)

Hello Sgt Bean,
    Thank you for creating this route, it was one of my favorite Train Master routes (back when Train Master was a side winder). I completely understand about the time commitment involved in route building. Since MSTS was released, I've completed 2 routes and surprisingly I still have most of my hair Keep up the great work

Rich S.