Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Vista Drivers for XP Drivers

Default Change Vista Drivers for XP Drivers

Hi All, Really hope some of you guys can help with this one please.

I have just purchased a new laptop from PC World a Packard Bell Easy Note SJ51. It's a very nice piece of equipment. Whilst in the store I talked to the technical guys regarding removing VISTA and Installing WinXP which I prefer ( cannot get on with Vista ) and was told it would be ok as long as I kept vista on it for Warranty purposes. So, I created a Partition and installed WinXP which is up and running but when checking Device Manager, showed following errors all listed under Other Devices:- Copressors, Ethernet Controller, PCI Device, RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter, SM BUS Controller Which presumable are Vista drivers and I am trying to find XP alternative. I cannot access internet with laptop without these drivers. The Recovery Disk given by PC World does not work, Tried to recover but half way through it asks for disk 2, they only gave me One disk which I'm trying to sort with them at the moment. but it's only for Vista anyway. Have also tried Packard Bell website but after going through all their options to get where you need to be for help they say they are very busy and you then get cut off and have to try again. been trying all morning.

Half the problem is my case is knowing what to look for. If anybody has help or suggestion I would be very gratefull.

Many thanks

Regards

Paul

Paul,

I did pretty much the same thing; I got a new HP laptop at work, with Vista. Vista would not support the kind of work I needed it to do, so I formatted the drive and installed XP. I too had problems finding drivers, since the HP website only had drivers for Vista for many of the hardware items on my particular model of laptop.

After much searching, however, I did manage to find drivers for almost all of the items in question. I tried some XP drivers from HP for similar laptops, particularly for the network adapters. I found a video driver from Nvidia, I believe. In fact, I got a number of drivers from the chipset manufacturers themselves.

You mention that you created another partition, and put XP on it; I'm assuming your Vista partition still works? I'm curious as to how you managed that.

The recovery CD will not help, as you have surmised, it has the load for Vista on it. Most Vista drivers won't work for XP.

I still don't have drivers for the coprocessor (not sure what that is...), HP integrated module (not sure what that is either), the modem, and one "unknown device" (probably the thumbprint reader), but it works fine for what I need it for, including MSTS.
    Jeff

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." - Ricky Nelson

Default VISTA TO XP drivers

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Paul,

I did pretty much the same thing; I got a new HP laptop at work, with Vista. Vista would not support the kind of work I needed it to do, so I formatted the drive and installed XP. I too had problems finding drivers, since the HP website only had drivers for Vista for many of the hardware items on my particular model of laptop.

After much searching, however, I did manage to find drivers for almost all of the items in question. I tried some XP drivers from HP for similar laptops, particularly for the network adapters. I found a video driver from Nvidia, I believe. In fact, I got a number of drivers from the chipset manufacturers themselves.

You mention that you created another partition, and put XP on it; I'm assuming your Vista partition still works? I'm curious as to how you managed that.

The recovery CD will not help, as you have surmised, it has the load for Vista on it. Most Vista drivers won't work for XP.

I still don't have drivers for the coprocessor (not sure what that is...), HP integrated module (not sure what that is either), the modem, and one "unknown device" (probably the thumbprint reader), but it works fine for what I need it for, including MSTS.
    Hi Masterchef, thanks for quick reply. Since posting this Message I Have managed to resolve some of the problems. I still Have problem with drivers for the Ethernet controller, which I seem to have upset because it was'nt a problem before and the RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter.

These are the only two,which was one, yellow question marks left in other devices, apart from the fact I still don't have any sound. all the previous issues seem to be resolved.

Anymore help please

Regards

Paul

P.S Partition was a problem so deleted everything. so now one drive with WinXP

I found this driver for your wireless connection with a Google search; don't know if you've tried it yet or not.

Without knowing the exact type of ethernet controller you have, finding a driver for it may be more difficult.

Perhaps if you looked on the HP website under your laptop's model, it will tell you what kind of ethernet adapter you have.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NET...007-WHQL.shtml
    Jeff

Born and raised in Brooklyn N.Y., now live in Hamilton Township, N.J., USA.

Default Try this out

Paul, I did a google search on"older xp drivers" and one of the sites that came up is http://www.drivershq.com/ . Maybe it will help. At the least it can be a good start. Good luck in your search! I will be doing a dual-boot soon, hopefully I won't have many problems.
    Thanks in Advance! Sincerely,
    Joseph "Joe" Anthony Marchetti

Please visit my LinkedIn page at http://www.linkedin.com/in/josephamarchetti and recommend me. Suggestions welcomed!

Default Vista to XP

Quote Originally Posted by GG12332 View Post
    Paul, I did a google search on"older xp drivers" and one of the sites that came up is http://www.drivershq.com/ . Maybe it will help. At the least it can be a good start. Good luck in your search! I will be doing a dual-boot soon, hopefully I won't have many problems.
    Hi Jeff And Joseph Marchetti, thanks to you both for your replies.

Since my first post on this subject I have managed to get everything working great, BRILLIANT RESULT !!! Vista Gone! XP working Brilliant. Speed amazing.

ACCEPT, I have no sound. Seems a shame to get shot down in flames at this stage.

If you guys, or anybody else out there, Have any Ideas or suggestions, I would be gratefull for an early reply.

Many thanks

regards

Paul

Well heck, you can't drive trains with no sound! :-)

I did a little research on your laptop, found that you have a Conexant High Definition Audio device; I realize that this seems like kind of a "general" term, but in a Google search I find that there are quite a few drivers for this device around. I don't know whether you've tried any of them, but I found a few on the HP website, for example (HP and Compaq laptops).
    Jeff

Default Vista to XP sound

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Well heck, you can't drive trains with no sound! :-)

I did a little research on your laptop, found that you have a Conexant High Definition Audio device; I realize that this seems like kind of a "general" term, but in a Google search I find that there are quite a few drivers for this device around. I don't know whether you've tried any of them, but I found a few on the HP website, for example (HP and Compaq laptops).
    Hi Jeff, thanks for reply.

I have pretty much done the same thing, I have so many possible drivers from Connexant and various other sources which I Have tried, but device manager for some reason does'nt recognised them. I'm at the stage where I seem to be going around in circles, and when that happens I give it a rest for a while.

Have just literally sent packard Bell an EMail asking for a possible Driver when I recieved yours. Although I did send same EMail to them a week ago but did'nt get a Reply.

Will keep fingers crossed for result otherwise will be back looking for more help again.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul that was brave of you to go back to XP on a Vista machine. Did you have any MSTS issue with the Vista installed?

I can make two suggestions: first go into you bios and check that "Audio is enabled"; I have done the opposite and disabled mine. as I use a pro external sound card for professional sound recording. Second, PCWorld sells an external sound card for about 39.

Mike
    Sinclair97

Quote Originally Posted by sinclair97 View Post
    Hi Paul that was brave of you to go back to XP on a Vista machine. Did you have any MSTS issue with the Vista installed?

I can make two suggestions: first go into you bios and check that "Audio is enabled"; I have done the opposite and disabled mine. as I use a pro external sound card for professional sound recording. Second, PCWorld sells an external sound card for about 39.

Mike
    Hi Mike, thanks for reply.

I really am thick when it comes to the insides of a computer. your message:-

check that "Audio is enabled"; I hope is, USB BIOS Legacy Support: [Enabled]
    because I can find no reference to Audio in any of the sections in BIOS (F2).

Regarding VISTA, It Drove me mad after a couple Hours. It was taking ( which I timed ) 30 to 40 seconds to open a file and if you wanted to open a file within that file, another 30 to 40 seconds and so on. Plus a few other niggly things i did'nt like, such as the speed obviously, Icons for the files. But I had already Intended To put WinXP back in prior to this.

Thanks Again

Regards

Paul