Thread: Dynamic Shadows, Kinda Simple Shape, Gmax

Default Dynamic Shadows, Kinda Simple Shape, Gmax

On the project that I've been working on, I've been trying to keep the polys down to a minimum.

So, for a couple of the shapes, that have windows and doors, I just put the door/window poly in front of the wall poly.

This normally results in flashing, as the sim can't decide whether to display the wall, or the door texture, so it alternates.

To prevent this, I leave the doors and windows as a sub object, and raise the sort level to 1. This tells the sim to display the door texture, over the wall texture in that area.

Having a static object, which isn't all one piece, makes the dynamic shadows not work on that particular object. To fix this, I select each object in the Gmax TrainSim Exporter, and tell it to collapse. This normally works, as it will create an S file which has just one object. Then dynamic shadows will work on the S file.

I've done that on other shapes, as it is easier to keep things separate in Gmax if it is a different object, and then it'll weld them together when it exports.

It isn't working for these building shapes. I can get the S file to show that it is just one object (1 matrix). Hopefully the hierarchy view from Sview will demonstrate this. But it won't display the dynamic shadow in MSTS. I've exported each one a couple times, to check that I didn't skip anything, and it is the same result each time.

Does anyone have experience with this? What can I do to keep the model small, and have it display a dynamic shadow?

I could create custom textures for each of these two buildings, but I was hoping to be able to use smaller, tile-able textures. I could cut the window out of the wall, but that will dramatically increase the number of polys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

James

Collapsing the objects should have worked, hmm. Alternatively you could convert your building to one object by attaching your doors and windows to the building using "Attach" under the "Edit Geometry" rollout.

Another method I have used is to place say a simple cube (textured with a very small ace file) in the centre of the building where it is out of site and using this to cast the shadow.

I had thought that attaching them would cause it to flash, but it didn't.

It looks like it should, having done that.

Thanks for pointing out, what amounted to be, the obvious.

James

Sorry, I'll try to be more helpful.

I just just successfully recreated your problem. Although SView doesn't show a hierarchy, it looks like assigning the doors and windows to a sub object ID leads to the problem of dynamic shadows not appearing. I may be wrong, but it seems that you can collapse as many nodes as you want to the main object but you can't have any sub objects. This means that you can only collapse the windows as separate nodes, so you can't sort them.

I often use your method of construction, that is to place windows and detail over the wall polys. I usually weld before exporting. I can reproduce the flickering effect if I make the polys coincident with each other, but I am always able to fix it by bringing the windows forward. So long as the window is far enough in front of the wall, it is always drawn on top. Not sure if I'm reproducing your problem here, I could send a Gmax example if it would help.

I think I phrased that last post poorly.

Attaching the windows and doors to the wall worked out. I should have tried that to begin with, but, I didn't.

Thank you for suggesting it, as I obviously should have tried it, but didn't.

I did have the window and door polys a couple centimeters infront of the wall, so that must be what is allowing them to display properly.

This is actually my first time building like this. Previously I would create a custom texture, and not worry about tiling very many things.

Thanks for your help.

James