Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Duplicate file on network

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wrexham North Wales UK
    Posts
    297

    Default Duplicate file on network

    Hi all, Me yet again.

    I am getting above message every time I switch my Computer on, but it does'nt say how or where to locate duplicate file. Any help please.

    Regards

    Paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Disconnect from the network and see what happens.

    Need more info.

    How are you being told about the duplicate file?

    Describe the network?
    Charles

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wrexham North Wales UK
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Disconnect from the network and see what happens.

    Need more info.

    How are you being told about the duplicate file?

    Describe the network?
    Hi Charles, thanks for reply.

    Not sure what you mean by disconnect from the network, not very knowledgable with computer files. However, I keep getting a Yellow Triangle with exclamation mark on taskbar every time I boot up saying duplicate name, not file as I said, in the network. It does'nt seem to affect anything apart freom the fact it should'nt be there. Any more help, thanks.

    Regards

    Paul

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    You made the subject of the message "Duplicate file on network" Do you have a network or not? For instance I have a home network of a cable modem, 4 computers, 2 printers, and 2 Voice over Internet telephone adaptors all linked together through 2 network routers with CAT-5 wire cables. So do you have a network or not?

    Does the error say what file is duplicate? Can you right click on the Yellow Triangle? If so what choices do you have? Is one of the choices "Properties"or "Options" And if so what do you get when you open properties/options? I am trying to find out what proghram is reporting duplicate filenames. There are lots of files with the same names, but in different directories, on most PCs so apparently there is a program that has a problem with this. In order to help you we need to find out which program it is.
    Charles

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.
    Posts
    10,170

    Default

    Open Control Panel, go to Adminstrative Tools, go to Event View, look for the specific error, copy and paste it here, I'm pretty sure I can help you!

    Robert

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Littleton, CO, USA.
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcohen View Post
    Hi Charles, thanks for reply.

    Not sure what you mean by disconnect from the network, not very knowledgable with computer files. However, I keep getting a Yellow Triangle with exclamation mark on taskbar every time I boot up saying duplicate name, not file as I said, in the network. It does'nt seem to affect anything apart freom the fact it should'nt be there. Any more help, thanks.

    Regards

    Paul
    Duplicate name means something entirely different from duplicate file, and it's easy to fix.

    If you get the duplicate name error it means that your computer has a name that's identical to another PC currently connected to the network.

    To fix this in XP go to the Start Menu and open Control Panel. In Control Panel, open the System item.

    You'll see a dialog box with several tabs. Click on the Computer Name tab.

    On that tab click on the Change button. That opens a dialog box with a text field toward the top that diaplays the current NetBIOS name of the cumputer. Just change it to something else. Try to avoid special characters (like #, &, #, etc.) in the new name that you choose.

    Click on the OK button, you'll get a warning that changes won't take place until you reboot your PC. Reboot, and that's it.

    This sort of thing happens when you first network several PC's that have rever been renamed from the original default name.

    Nick

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wrexham North Wales UK
    Posts
    297

    Default Duplicate name SORTED

    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Duplicate name means something entirely different from duplicate file, and it's easy to fix.

    If you get the duplicate name error it means that your computer has a name that's identical to another PC currently connected to the network.

    To fix this in XP go to the Start Menu and open Control Panel. In Control Panel, open the System item.

    You'll see a dialog box with several tabs. Click on the Computer Name tab.

    On that tab click on the Change button. That opens a dialog box with a text field toward the top that diaplays the current NetBIOS name of the cumputer. Just change it to something else. Try to avoid special characters (like #, &, #, etc.) in the new name that you choose.

    Click on the OK button, you'll get a warning that changes won't take place until you reboot your PC. Reboot, and that's it.

    This sort of thing happens when you first network several PC's that have rever been renamed from the original default name.

    Nick
    Hi Guys, Thanks to you all for your replies. Now Sorted.

    Many thanks

    Regards

    Paul

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Littleton, CO, USA.
    Posts
    864

    Default

    You're quit welcome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->