Thread: Raildriver and Power Supply

Default Raildriver and Power Supply

Will there ever be a Raildriver which does not need a separate power supply, using the voltage supplied by the USB port just like some external USB hard disks do ?

O t t o

My RD doesn't have a separate power supply for the controls. There is a PS for the audio boom box gizmo which I used exactly once 5 years ago. I didn't care for the effect so since then I've never had the audio hooked up (or its PS) and only have a USB cable attached.

I don't recall the USB specs exactly, but I believe a device is only allowed to draw a few milliamps from the USB cable (maybe it's ~100ma). So I don't believe there is enough there to power an audio subsystem that drives much more than headphones. In any case, the controls and the LED display get their power from the USB cable.
    Dave

Thanks, Dave !

I was looking at my son's Raildriver here in the States and forgot that I too do not use it's audio system back in the UK and just plug in it's USB cable when using it.

O t t o

Smile Power Supply

You are correct in that there is not enough power available from the USB port to drive our amplifier, and also correct in that the controls do not need the power supply to operate.

The RailDriver's onboard subwoofer makes the controls vibrate in frequency with the engine and this adds a sense of realism to the simulation.

Michael Hetherington, designer of the RailDriver discovered this by accident. Out of desk space, he perched the prototype of his RailDriver on top of his subwoofer during a test run, and was amazed at how it made the controller come to life.
    Dan from RailDriver and P.I. Engineering

Hi everyone,
    First timer here. I inherited a Raildriver RD-91-MDT-A from my grandfather. He passed and since he had introduced me to Microsoft Train Sim and I enjoyed the game so much my family made sure I got the RailDriver. I have 3 questions and I think 1 has been answered.
    The power supply didn't make the trip with the raildriver. It sounds like I don't need power just to use the controls. Is this the case? Can anyone tell me the specs on the power supply so I can find one at Radio Shack or the like? I see it's 12 volts DC, but there is usually an amp spec as well as the tip size for the cord.
    The second question is will RailDriver work with the new program Train Simulator 2012 by Railsimulator.com?
    Third question is there software for the desktop unit?

Thanks,
    Bob

Yes, the RailDriver works with Train Simulator 2012 (RailWorks) but needs a power supply to do it. Based on your post, I tried RailWorks without power and the engine controls did not respond to RailDriver input. For Open Rails however, it did work without the power supply. (I can't give you a reading on MSTS without power because I have a 64 bit system and RailDriver can't be used for MSTS on anything other than 32 bit systems).

All the software you need and really good technical support can be found at http://www.raildriver.com/ Go to Support>Technical Downloads for software.

The information on the power supply is:

AHEAD AC Adaptor Class 2 Transformer
    Model ADC - 1101400
    I/P AC 120V 60Hz 27W
    O/P DC 11V 1400mA

I didn't think about 64 bit / 32 bit. It's been so long since I ran a 32 bit OS. I'm not going to re-install or dual boot just for the raildriver. Most new OS installations going forward are going to be 64 bit. RailDriver may want to look at writing 64 bit drivers if they want to keep selling new units.
    Thanks for all the info. It's amazing, one can find an online forum for just about any topic these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dick8299 View Post
    Yes, the RailDriver works with Train Simulator 2012 (RailWorks) but needs a power supply to do it.
    That's curious. I've never used a power supply on mine. I believe the only thing the power supply is used for is the audio rumble and, many years ago, I found the effect not worth the effort to hook up, so I haven't used it since. The RD had worked without incident on XP/SP3 for many years (MSTS, Trainz and all flavors of Railworks) and just over the last few days, I've upgraded to Win7-Pro-x64 and it continues to work. Although at first, I did have trouble with the analog controls but that was due to having Railworks installed at other than the default location. I followed the instructions for installing the Raildriver software on Win7 in a non-default location as highlighted at their website and all the controls now work properly (required a little editing to one of the Raildriver config files).
    Dave