Thread: "This vehicle stops at all crossings", meaning?

Default "This vehicle stops at all crossings", meaning?

Not being from the states I am not exactly sure what this means, but I've seen it on the back of public buses and city vehicles all over.

Does it mean the vehicle stops completely at all crossings, looks both ways and then continues?
    Juan Botero

basically, yes. It's supposed to be a notice for people following, so they know that if they see tracks, the vehicle will stop before crossing... Found on most buses, and trucks carrying any sort of flammable or explosive cargo.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

Quote Originally Posted by juan48101 View Post
    Does it mean the vehicle stops completely at all crossings, looks both ways and then continues?
    Yes.

Trucks that are required to display a Hazardous Materials placard, passenger buses, and school buses are required to stop at all railroad crossings.

But there is a exception:

Restricted traffic does not have to stop if the crossing has a sign "Exempted Crossing". This sign can mark crossings such as those that no longer have rail traffic, abandoned lines, or possibly a section of track has been removed between this crossing and the rest of the railroad making it impossible for rail traffic to reach the crossing.
    Last edited by Conrail Tweety; 07-07-2008 at 05:05 PM.

"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

Conrail Tweety

Thank you both for your quick replies clearing this up.

Much appreciated.
    Juan Botero