Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth IT?

Question Worth IT?

Is RaildDriver worth buying?.To me it looks really cool.So I ask out here is it worth buying?

I might as well give you my opinion; I would get it but I really need to pay for college first. Of course, it's all up to you what you do.
    I recommend, if you have not already, going to YouTube and search for "Raildriver". It looks great, yet I notice a few things that are not prototypical to all railroads.

If you use Vista, forget it. There is no driver or support for RD and any version of Vista.

If you have XP or OS's prior, it's a great alternative to the keyboard. People have mixed opinions when using it with steam I myself use very little steam), but I use it regularly on my old XP pc with diesels. It has a very slight delay in response as it reads the hud (by the way, you cannot alter that in any way), but it is almost imperceptable. Some modifications may be necessary on some engines to make them work with RD...in some cases changing their prototypical behavior.

Definitely worth it - just not on a Vista system. I run XP, and is one of the reasons I am into MSTS as heavily as I am. Couldn't get along without it.
    Glenn Duba
    Cinnaminson, NJ

Default R.D.

I've used Rail Driver exclusively for the two years I've been rail simming. I don't even know how to use the keyboard, except for the functions that RD won't do, such as turning on the sand to leave it on (x plus shift), frame rates ( shift plus z), Water (t plus shift). The 28 labeled pushbuttons on the front panel allow quick access to 95% of the rest of the MSTS driving functions I'll ever need. I run 100% narrow gauge steam, and I've heard steam freaks like me say, "I just can't bring myself to run steamers from what looks like a deisel control panel with those levers." Well we all gotta do what we all gotta do. But myself, with a slightly over tonnage train on a 4%+ ruling grade, which very seldom is is 4% consistant, and sometimes when the grade changes from a 3.5%with 20% regulator and 25% reverser, and suddenly changes to 4.2% at 10mph, you need 99% regulator and 85% reverser to keep moving, the keyboard only allows one instruction at a time and running with Rail Driver you can slam BOTH controls to max at the same time to keep going, just as a real engineer can do. And the camera controls are light years ahead of the keyboard. Pushbuttons for each camera. AND a two way rocker switch for zoom in/out, AND a four way rocker switch to go right/left and up/down, which is the best thing since sliced bread, when you're switching around and trying to keep the cameras focused on what you're doing, and doing what you're supposed to be doing with the trains. Brakes, throttle, johnson bar adjustments, one-at-a-time adjustments while switching around with the keyboard, I don't know how keyboard guys do it, it's not a cakewalk with Rail Driver either but it IS easier with Rail Driver's handy levers. So what if the lever panel doesn't resemble a real steam cab view, it makes operating steam locos easier.
    If a theif broke into my house and demanded all my stuff, he'd loose his life if he tried to take my computer and my Rail Driver.

George

Thumbs up

Yeah Thanks guys...just checked out a dozen vids...damn right I will be buying this....

Default RD

Good luck comlink. There are some drawbacks to using RD. When you run across them post your problem in this forum and you will find many who will help.

George

Default RailDriver and Vista

Quote Originally Posted by ckawahara View Post
    If you use Vista, forget it. There is no driver or support for RD and any version of Vista.
    Just to clarify, RailDriver supports Rail Simulator (KRS) and Trainz (2006-Classics) on Vista right now, and we will support MSTS2 when it comes out.
    Dan from RailDriver and P.I. Engineering

Cool Yes It Is Worth It

Quote Originally Posted by comlink View Post
    Is RaildDriver worth buying?.To me it looks really cool.So I ask out here is it worth buying?
    I would have to say that it is worth buying if you play a lot of train simulators, from MSTS to TRS 2006 and TC 1 2 & 3 from Auran. Have not had much luck with Rail Simulator , but that could just be a bug.

Russ Campbell AKA (rcamp4545)

Three years ago I purchased mine because of the levers/handles....now I'd be lost without the pushbutton functions...makes my rail experience far more than expected!!!