Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narrow Gauge Rail Profiles

Question Narrow Gauge Rail Profiles

I've been tinkering with creating track in Rail Simulator (RS), and I'm looking for some info on common narrow gauge rail sizes. Creating track in RS is fairly easy, and allows a multitude of rail weights, ballast profiles, etc. The sim could benefit a great deal from the use of standard turnouts (with appropriate hardware), but perhaps that will come in the future.

In the meantime, what I need is some typical weights for rail used on some of the larger narrow gauge lines (C&S, D&RG, etc.), so I can put together a few profiles for testing.

Here's an example of a basic 120lb standard gauge mainline track. I still need to add spikes and switch stands, but appears to be coming along nicely.

Click for larger image:

3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Default Narrow Gauge rail

Marc,
    In Colorado 55 - 57lb rail was common on most carriers at the turn of century as most of the lines never had anything much larger than 2-8-0 inside frame locos. I dobt if the Maine 2 footers had much beyond 40lb rail.
    To accomodate the K27 class locos the D&RGW relaid areas to 70lb rail.The D&RGW ended up with fair amounts of 90lb rail on the parts of the line that saw the larger K36 - K37 class locos by the end of service. (Rail was second hand from their mainline as that rail was being replaced with heavier rail.
    The overall huge increase in steam loco size after 1910 saw most railroads changing from 55 - 70lb rail to heavier rail -- even on standard gauge lines.
    I would think you might be well served to replicate the 55 - 60lb profiles first, using 6" x 8" x 6'6" ties.
    My information is mostly from Hilton's American Narrow Gauge Railroads.
    Bill Hobbs

Thank you Bill, and for the info on the tie sizes.

Signature

Marc - I have information (civil engineering reports of rail replacement) for a 2ft gauge line in the UK if you are interested. Looking at the couple I have to hand it records replacement of 24 ft double head rail, bull head rail - no length or weight and replaced with 60lb/yrd fb rail in 40ft length and 75lb fb rail being used. If of any interest I can dig out the other reports and give you more of a report.

Thanks Dan. I'll keep your offer in mind. As is, I'm waiting to see if RSDL can fix one of the loft shaders, so that I can give a 3D look to a low poly set of tracks. I've also asked them to look into adding a feature to snap objects to track, which would make it easier to lay bridges and other objects on grade.

Signature

Hi Bill !

As far as I know there is no narrow gauge rolling stock which can run on narrow gauge tracks.

There not being any, would their possible creators know what the tracks gauge is going to be !

O t t o

Marc, Here in Maine the two footers where indid no more then 40 pound rail. IIRC they where actually 35, atleast on the SR&RL Railroad.

Thanks Shawn. A few more tweaks to the switch stands, and I can start releasing the track.

Signature

Not a problem Marc. I was hoping that some people here would make some good models for MSTS for the Maine 2 footers, but, no luck, Maybe with luck they will come along with KRS.