Thread: Installing XP SP3...Help!

Angry Installing XP SP3...Help!

Hi everyone!
    I'm having a problem when I try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3, that is, when I try to let Windows Update install it, it gets about halfway finished, and it says "Access is Denied", then says "Windows XP SP3 did not install correctly. Some programs might not work." I have tried 3 times, with the same message.

And now, I can't get my wireless Belkin USB Adapter to get any signal(or get it to come on at all!), so I am on my laptop wireless now.

So I guess what the questions are: Howcan I get SP3 installed correctly, and will it fix my internet problem?

The computer that this is happening on:

Dell Dimension C521
    AMD Athon 64 X2 5800+ 3.0 GHz
    3 GB of RAM
    256 MB ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with somewhere between Service Pack 2 & 3

I can't reinstall Windows, because I don't have the OS CD that came with the computer anymore, and I'm not spending $125 on a new Windows XP or Vista, so that is out of the question.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kyle

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

First, start in Safe Mode by using F-8. Use System Restore to "go back." Are you trying to install as Administrator? Most "Access is Denied" messages relate to permissions, did you create a user account that isn't an Administrator?

I'm assuming you know how to use System Restore, It should be on the Accesories menu under System Tools. You need to be signed in as an Administrator to use it.

You should be able to obtain a copy of Windows from Dell, as long as you bought it firsthand. You might want to call them.

Robert

Thanks for the super quick reply!

I am the only one with an accout on it, and the only one that uses the computer (yes, i'm admin.), and I never even thought about using System Restore, even though I've used it twice before! Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow, since it's 10:00 PM here!

I'll be back tomorrow with the results!

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

I would also advise against installing SP3 with Windows Update. You can download it and install it, possibly even from Dell, but it's best to get the whole download.

Robert

Here's a link to an article about problems installing SP3. Maybe it will help you some.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/en-us

Also, since you have an AMD processor, this link might also be of some information to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/en-us

Here's another link that may, or may not, be of some use to you if you happen to run any Norton products. This one also deals with problems in Device Manager and network connection problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953791/en-us

Finally, here's a link to download SP3. Be advised though, it's a 316 MB download.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows...ce-pack-3.html
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-20-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    Hawk

"We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress." -Will Rogers

I'm glad I upgraded, and I didn't even know there was an SP3 until MC told me he was running it on his new computer.

Cool Back online w/ SP2!!!!

I did a system restore today to just before SP3 tried to install itself, and now I am back online! Thanks for all your help & info, too! It seems like it was only my wireless adapter that was not working, but it was vital to my computer.

I did download the Service Pack 3 from the above website (it took less than 15 minutes at 500+ kilobytes/second!), also along with an AMD patch that it recommended, and I will try tomorrow to install SP3, after an all-nite backup of my C: drive onto my E: drive (external backup), so nothing will be lost if something goes wrong.

I really have only one good computer that I can use for myself and that will play MSTS well for now, until I get a new HP come December with an AMD 6000+, 3 GB memory, Vista, and then put an ATI 4850 so I can do some awesome gaming!

Take Care,
    Kyle

EDIT: I now have 2 good computers to work with, because I ran into some money and could afford the HP & 4850. So things now are running better than ever!
    Last edited by saintjimmy14; 09-21-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Kyle,

How did you make out? I've SP3 sitting on the side. I have not yet installed. I've backed up all of my critical (personal) files. Unlike yourself, I've an Intel Centrino. So I won't need that step... he said.

I'm always cautious with these things as this notebook is predominately a business tool.
    I do have every update since the unit was new about two or so years ago.

Anyway... how'd you make out??

Have a sparkling evening,
    Bob

I got SP3 in OK, and it is running faster than SP2, I have noticed. It installed without a hitch, and I am very happy with it! Thanks for reminding me to update this!

Kyle

Thnx.
    Bob