Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual core CPU support

Default Dual core CPU support

I run a PC that's nearly 18 months old, so not the most up to date system at all. It came with a dual core 6600 Intel CPU. I used to be able to run KRS with my RailDriver console on this PC until I had to reinstall the whole lot thanks to the Mk 2 update from Kuju.

Now I get this godawful 20-30 second delay between using a control (any) on my RailDriver and the thing responding.

I've NOT changed ANY hardware between it working and not working. I've not installed anything except KRS etc. all of which were working fine before.

Why in this age of multi-core processors as standard does my RailDriver console suddenly not work with KRS any more? It's quoted on your website as being a known problem... What are you doing to fix it?

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Sounds a lot to me like there's two drivers installed, you might want to check your Control Panel... Although most of the time it won't show it. I'd try a driver removal tool to get rid of all of the current drivers completely, then try re-installing.

Robert

Robert

OK, I'll give that a whirl once I get home. Cheers... Fingers crossed that'll fix it.

Unhappy

So, it makes no difference at all. KRS still sufferes from an awful 20-30 second lag between setting the control and the software responding. And I don't use MSTS as my monitor is widescreen and the Radildriver software can't decipher the F5 text any more. This leaves me with KRS and my RD console...

And this multi-core processor problem was known about and mentioned LONG before I suffered my woes.

Is there a patch going to come out to fix this RD issue? Will I ever be able to use my very expensive controller again? And why won't PI come along and try and help? I'm not the only person who upgraded their PC to multi-core functionality in the last 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fodda View Post
    So, it makes no difference at all. KRS still sufferes from an awful 20-30 second lag between setting the control and the software responding.

And this multi-core processor problem was known about and mentioned LONG before I suffered my woes.

No ď20-30 second lagĒ here with Rail Driver and KRS with an Intel dual core E8600 or my quad core Q9650.

Iíve used the Rail Driver with XP/SP3 and Vista 64/SP1 and neither of my two machines with the above mentioned multi-core processors exhibits any problems with the controller.

How up to date is youíre OS, there have been various Windows updates that have addressed multi-core issues with both XP and Vista. Vista SP1 and XP SP3 both also contain multi-core CPU updates.

Quote Originally Posted by djt1 View Post
    ....Iíve used the Rail Driver with XP/SP3 and Vista 64/SP1 and neither of my two machines with the above mentioned multi-core processors exhibits any problems with the controller......
    How was RD installed on the Vista OS pc? I've never been able to get the .dll's to properly register in the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by ckawahara View Post
    How was RD installed on the Vista OS pc? I've never been able to get the .dll's to properly register in the registry.
    All I did was run the exe, plug it in and let Windows recognize the controller, go through the calibration process and fire up Rail Sim, no problems.

Like I put in the first post, it USED to work fine until I updated KRS. PI have already said there may be a lag problem with multi-core CPUs.

I'd just like somebody from PI to tell me what they're doing about this. Multi-core CPUs are the norm nowadays, and I spent a small fortune on the RD hardware. I DON'T want to think I spent all that cash on something that's not supported any more.

Come on PI, it's been months with no word at all. This kind of customer support is terrible, and I certainly won't be recommending the company to anyone. Quite the reverse in fact if you insist on just ignoring enormous problems with your products.

Quote Originally Posted by Fodda View Post
    Like I put in the first post, it USED to work fine until I updated KRS. PI have already said there may be a lag problem with multi-core CPUs.

Iím using Rail Sim with the Mk2 update with Vista 64/SP1 on two systems, one using a Core 2 Duo and one using a Core 2 Quad. As I said before I have no lag issues with Rail Driver.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Have you asked PI Engineering, Raildriver's manufacturer?

They can probably come up with a solution, I severely doubt it has anything to do wtih a Core 2 Duo, more than likely it involves the wide screen monitor...

Have you tried any of the solutions found here: http://www.raildriver.com/support/raildriver.php?

Robert