Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing and GPU temp

Default Freezing and GPU temp

Msts has been freezing quite a bit recently, and I just donwloaded a program called Speed fan to check if things were getting bit hot. I notice there was a notification that the CPU was a bit hot, so I looked inside and found there was a lot of dust clogging up the vents going to the processor. After having blown all the dust out, I was still having bad freezups on the game so I checked speed fan again and the GPU is running at 62 Centigrade with no games running. Is this too hot?, could it be my graphics card fan has died on me?

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Anything with moving parts will wear out.

I'd suggest replacing the fan, they're not that expensive...

I replaced one of mine one time with a 486 fan I had left over...

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    Anything with moving parts will wear out.

I'd suggest replacing the fan, they're not that expensive...

I replaced one of mine one time with a 486 fan I had left over...

Robert
    I just checked to see if the GPU fan was still working and it was, I blew a mess of dust out of it and it is now running at 59 Centigrade. Guess that's better.

59 C is still pretty warm. I would see if you could turn up your fan, or if that doesn't work, I would suggest replacing it.

Also, make sure that your computer has proper ventilation and is not in a corner etc. where it cannot get good air flow.

It is in well ventilated place, I notice, though, that when I run another game, Tiger Woods Golf 2008, there are no freeze ups, and that game has more intense graphics than MSTS.

This should probably be in the hardware forum, but...
    Not knowing what type of system you have or if you have made updates to it since installing msts, I would suggest either checking you bios to check/set fan speed (or if you can do that with an external utility), run mprofile.exe in your root msts folder, maybe list your system specs here.
    Also, careful when blowing your fans, as they are quite fragile, and blowing with canned air can blow them with more force and speed than they are designed to operate - especially if you are blowing them in reverse direction!
    If in the market for new fans, I would suggest Antec, Scythe and Thermaltake. Look at Newegg.com??
    BTW, freezeup's can also be caused by memory issues, but that is a whole different ballgame.

Good luck,

Neil

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Isn't it funny how something getting too hot can cause something to freeze?

Robert

Default Robert

Lmao!!

My CPU is in a confined area without much circulation, but I got an external fan (see below) that sits on top of the CPU and moves air outward. I plug it in on the warmer days, to a USB port.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mo...=245X8VF612BLE

Don Karch Cripple Creek Railroads Route (CS&CCD, MT, F&CC)
    Rollins Pass/Moffat Tunnel Route V5 (Denver to Craig and Glenwood Springs)
    D&RGW Glenwood Spgs-Grand Jct Route and Colorado Joint Line, Denver-Pueblo
    C&S Narrow Gauge South Park Line/Colorado Midland SG/D&RG NG and SG

Any time a CPU gets to hot as it goes into what is known as "Thermal shutdown" it will start beeping like crazy. If it does, shut it down immediately if not sooner, how do you do that, hold in the power button for 5 seconds. All newer systems do this, and it does shut it down safely. If You use a power strip or one of those switch boxes, DO NOT TURN IT OFF.