Thread: Penn Central Silverliner Version

Default Penn Central Silverliner Version

Here is a Shape Viewer screenshot of the next version of my Silverliners:

Note that the details are different than the PRR Silverliners to reflect some of the modifications made by the time of the Penn Central merger (removal of disc brakes, suspension hanger modification). Also, the road markings reflect some of the different variations seen during the Penn Central era (no markings, PENNSYLVANIA on the letterboard, black on white, and white on black PC logos. These are new car numbers, not represented in the PRR or SEPTA sets. The cars shown are only the high number series, the low number series was shown earlier.

I also caught an error I made in the PRR textures (which are also used on the PC version) where I omitted the "F" designator for the front of the unit - not sure how that happened. So the release will include the updated texture, which will also update the PRR & RDG release.

Steve

Those look great Steve! Didn't NJT convert those Penn Centrals to Comet IBs? Or did NJT use Arrow I cars to convert to Comet IBs?
    Anthony

No, they converted the Arrow Is to Comet IBs. NJT never used Silverliners (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by EMD E8A View Post
    No, they converted the Arrow Is to Comet IBs. NJT never used Silverliners (I think).
    EMD E8A is correct, only the Arrow I were converted to Comet Ib. Although the Silverliner III and Arrow Is are similar (both built by St. Louis Car Company), they are not the same. All the original Silverliner IIs and IIIs (except #210 and #265, both separately wrecked) are still in operation as EMUs for SEPTA (just saw some yesterday at Media). Arrow Is were used by New Jersey and Silverliner II & III used by Philadelphia/Pennsylvania. Now that's NOT to say that neither ran in the other territory. There are many photos of Silverliners running in NJ (and they still do operate to Trenton and West Trenton), and I've also seen photos of Arrow Is operating on the Harrisburg Line in the forerunner to "Keystone Service" between Philly & Harrisburg - I think they were loaned/leased from NJDOT for that. What's rare is to see a photo of either south into Maryland or DC (I've seen fan trip photos of them in Alexandria Yard in VA when it was still electrified), or north of Penn Station, NY (I've never seen a photo of that).

Patience all, as I have been working on the SLIII, which means the Arrow Is are that much closer.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mestevet View Post
    EMD E8A is correct, only the Arrow I were converted to Comet Ib. Although the Silverliner III and Arrow Is are similar (both built by St. Louis Car Company), they are not the same. All the original Silverliner IIs and IIIs (except #210 and #265, both separately wrecked) are still in operation as EMUs for SEPTA (just saw some yesterday at Media). Arrow Is were used by New Jersey and Silverliner II & III used by Philadelphia/Pennsylvania. Now that's NOT to say that neither ran in the other territory. There are many photos of Silverliners running in NJ (and they still do operate to Trenton and West Trenton), and I've also seen photos of Arrow Is operating on the Harrisburg Line in the forerunner to "Keystone Service" between Philly & Harrisburg - I think they were loaned/leased from NJDOT for that. What's rare is to see a photo of either south into Maryland or DC (I've seen fan trip photos of them in Alexandria Yard in VA when it was still electrified), or north of Penn Station, NY (I've never seen a photo of that).

Patience all, as I have been working on the SLIII, which means the Arrow Is are that much closer.

Steve
    LOL!! Thats what I thought. I was just asking because I heard someone say that a long time ago, that they said NJT used Penn Central Silverliners as Comet IBs. Now I know they are wrong. LOL! Thanks guys!
    Anthony

I felt it appropriate to update this thread for anyone who might be interested!

I have finished the PC version of my Silverliner II cars (as seen in the screenshots I showed previously, and shown by Beta tester Shawn on the ME earlier https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...1&#post1438471 ), and I intend to upload them.

They were actually finished some time ago, by the file dates, October 11, 2008! Why has it taken so long?

A few folks on here found out from me that I was having surgery in October, and I actually finished them up before that. I'd intended to upload them after that, but I never did. I sort of forgot about it! Duh! Anyway, checking on some things I realize I had the package all ready to go, including updates to cover some small issues with the PRR/RDG release.

So if you're interested in the Penn Central era, these cars should be in the library soon.

Steve

Great! Looking forward to them. I hope you've fully recovered.