Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SEPTA Silverliner III

Default SEPTA Silverliner III

I thought I'd start a thread to show some progress on the Silverliner III cars I've been working on. I gave a recent quick peek in this other thread:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...41#post1434941

But here's the latest shot, showing some of the detail work I've been doing.

Bear in mind that this is just the body shell and exterior body equipment, doesn't include the underbody, pans, interior, etc - I work on them separately to keep things simple.
    I've reworked the ends to match the St. Louis car profile, particularly the roof end caps, reworked the end steps and grabs to match, worked on the textures, etc.

The thing some folks might not realize about a photo-real texture is that it's not just as easy as banging it on the side of the model and done. Stuff has to match! Sides have to match ends, door & window cutouts have to match the model, etc - anything that is modeled in 3D (and not just the texture) has to be dealt with properly in the texture so it doesn't look "dumb". For instance, on the side entrance door, you can see where the photo-texture grab iron gets split across the door opening. I have to fix that so it doesn't look dumb. So that's why these things take a while, even if it looks good!

To answer the inevitable questions, I don't know when I'll be done. I DO plan on back dating the cars to offer older versions (PRR, PC). The car will be all-new but will draw on the Silverliner II for some things - this means new cab (left hand drive), new interiors, new sounds (at least where I've been able to tell the cars apart), and probably slightly different physics. I also see doing this car as the first step toward doing the Arrow I, so NJT fans, never fear!

I'll also add that I got particularly lucky yesterday with a short trainwatching trip - an ambivalent conductor allowed me free access to a SLIII laying over at my favorite Silverliner watching spot and I took LOTS of photos of the interior and other details. I felt like a little boy at a penny candy shop with a pocket full of change! (anybody old enough to remember penny candy?)

Steve

I'm already drooling.......Steve you are a MSTS godsend!!!!!

Just curious on something: are you planning to release a few with the old Airport Wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by redarrow5591 View Post
    Just curious on something: are you planning to release a few with the old Airport Wrap?
    Here's something I posted up in an older thread on the SLIII:

So I suppose in a word, Yes. But probably not right away -- I mean it won't be the first version.

Steve

It looks really good Steve!!!! Did those silverliner III cars use a Wabco AA-2 horn, or something else? I could never figure that out when I used to see those. LOL!!!
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by gerr View Post
    Did those silverliner III cars use a Wabco AA-2 horn, or something else?
    I honestly don't know what the horn is. I have some very zoomed in photos of the horn, but I haven't seen any markings to indicate, and I've never talked to anyone who mentioned it. I haven't been able to distinguish between the SLII and SLIII horns, but perhaps I haven't paid enough attention. I swear on my honor that the horn I put on the SLII cars is as good a representation of the horn as I can get. I've listened to the horn blow on the real cars, and when I play it on the sim, it sounds the same to me.

OH! and on the issue of the horn... I was watching the latest NOVA program on PBS, "Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives" ( http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/manyworlds/ ) and I learned something about MU car horns. What? (has he gone crazy?) In the program, this fellow is tracking down information about his father who was a physicist and he rides the train to Princeton. One segment has him standing at the station and the "Dinky" comes in blowing it's horn (it's about minute 36 in the program). I swear, I heard the horn and thought I'd hit something wrong on my computer, because it sounded, to me, just like my Silverliner II horn! I Tivo'd it back and sure enough, there is an Arrow pulling into the station and gives a little "toot". So what I learned is that the Arrow horns sound like the Silverliner horns. I did not know that.

Steve

That's a beatuy of "Louie" you've got there Steve. I know for sure you won't disapoint.

On the subject of horns, the Silverliner IIs and the Silverliner IIIs both have the Wabco AA-2 horn. Unfortunately finding one of those cars with a nice clean sounding copy of the horn is getting tough these days. I know the NJT Arrow IIIs also use the same horn. The Silverliner IVs and possibly the Arrow IIs (at least SEPTA's copy on the wire train) have the Leslie S-2M.

I did just find this video on Yotube showing off an AA-2 horn for some car developed for Trainz: [link removed per BNSFfan request]. That's what the Budds/Louies are supposed to sound like, that is if their horns weren't beat up, clogged, and most likely 45 years old like the rest of the car. If you're lucky you can still find a few roaming around SEPTA with a good copy of the horn.

In light of removing the previous link, here's one of the real thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBW4NbrENzY
    Last edited by Wagz; 10-22-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Wagz. I had reported the user of that video numerous times for pirating 3DT sounds for trainz. Please remove the link.

Quote Originally Posted by BNSFfan View Post
    Wagz. I had reported the user of that video numerous times for pirating 3DT sounds for trainz. Please remove the link.
    I'm not surprised. The sound he used in that video sounds strikingly familiar to the recordings on the net made by someone that owns his own AA-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagz View Post
    That's a beatuy of "Louie" you've got there Steve. I know for sure you won't disapoint.

On the subject of horns, the Silverliner IIs and the Silverliner IIIs both have the Wabco AA-2 horn. Unfortunately finding one of those cars with a nice clean sounding copy of the horn is getting tough these days. I know the NJT Arrow IIIs also use the same horn. The Silverliner IVs and possibly the Arrow IIs (at least SEPTA's copy on the wire train) have the Leslie S-2M.

I did just find this video on Yotube showing off an AA-2 horn for some car developed for Trainz: [link removed per BNSFfan request]. That's what the Budds/Louies are supposed to sound like, that is if their horns weren't beat up, clogged, and most likely 45 years old like the rest of the car. If you're lucky you can still find a few roaming around SEPTA with a good copy of the horn.

In light of removing the previous link, here's one of the real thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBW4NbrENzY
    Yea, NJT uses the same on their Arrow III cars. Speaking of NJT, I saw SEPTA got a few of their Comet I cars. They got repainted and everything.
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Wagz View Post
    I'm not surprised. The sound he used in that video sounds strikingly familiar to the recordings on the net made by someone that owns his own AA-2.
    It does sound familiar, but that arrow car on youtube for trainz is for that persons own use. It was never uploaded anywhere, and also, the creator of that car is kinda tight and allows no repaints I found out some time ago.
    Anthony