Thread: Gimp or Photoshop?

Question Gimp or Photoshop?

Hey guys,
    What do you reccommend would be the easier program to repaint a locomotive from? Gimp or Adobe Photoshop?

As you know, just about any pixel blaster "WORKS, but my opinion is that you will be pulling your hair our with GIMP. Instead of only focusing on Adobe, take a look at what COREL has.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

If you want to produce the best work, anything other than Photoshop will simply not do! It may take a while to learn it, but once that is accomplished, the results will speak for themselves as they are well worth the 'frustration'.

-- Nick O'Dell
    Nick O'Dell

Quote Originally Posted by nickdude View Post
    If you want to produce the best work, anything other than Photoshop will simply not do! It may take a while to learn it, but once that is accomplished, the results will speak for themselves as they are well worth the 'frustration'.

-- Nick O'Dell
    1000 times agreed!!

>>MC
    Matt Florack AKA mc5725/MC6853
    Website/Forum: http://mclw.proboards.com/index.cgi
    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z74/MCFlorack/6853tiny.gif

Door number three-Paint.NET.

-DJ Flaherty

If you can afford Photoshop, or you have it already, and you have other uses for it, then use it. I've used my old version of it extensively for editing my photographs, although now I'm moving on to Adobe Lightroom.

My personal view is that Photoshop is overkill just for skinning models - try something cheaper and simpler first. I know the Gimp takes some learning, but it can do everything that you need, as does Paint.net - and Photoshop is pretty hard to learn as well.
    Alan
    See this thread for my railway photos https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...78#post1935978

I agree that Photoshop is quite extensive and hard to learn. I'm not sure if I agree that it is overkill, however. The tools in Photoshop are very suited for skinning locomotives, and are unsurpassed by any other paint program I've come across. Photoshop is also great for creating numbering and lettering if you don't have Adobe Illustrator or another font program.

These textures are based off of the SLI Dash-9 textures, but were completely redrawn, painted, and weathered in Photoshop.

-- Nick O'Dell
    Nick O'Dell

I tend to disagree a little on Photoshop being way better than anything else. My top candidate is from MediaChance:
    http://www.mediachance.com/realdraw/index.html
    This is very powerful, but not simple to use at its powerful capabilities. I have not seen anything that remotely compares to the rust textures you can achieve with this program. To me, much of the work done in Photoshop looks a bit cloudy and splotchy, not like real weathering. I agree with Pete, Corel also has some excellent software for working on these files.
    Now an important note. No matter what program you use, the result will only be as good as your skill and talent for using it. I have seen some amazing work done with nothing more than ImageForge and MS Paint, by really skilled artists. I have seen some pretty awful work done in Photoshop by users that had little skill with the program. There is no substitute for learning how to use the program you select to its maximum capability.

Default #4

Jasc Pain Shop Pro 8. even the 60 day try and buy version works well.

Quote Originally Posted by REISCOOL View Post
    Jasc Pain Shop Pro 8. even the 60 day try and buy version works well.
    I dont think 8 is in the free trial anymore try Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Basicly I believe Corel bought the rights to Jasc and paint shop pro...
    Last edited by cnwfan; 10-27-2008 at 02:53 PM.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub