Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cascades sub

Default Cascades sub

Heres a few more shots of some recent work. I've been creating custom terrain textures lately. I think this trash texture adds more realism to the sim.

A junk pile in a field:

Trash buildup under an overpass:

Regards
    John

Talking

That looks good. We need more textures.

That looks awesome and photoreal. Good work.

Thank you for the compliments. When I have put together enough of them, I will upload them to file library.

Nice to see a budding texture expert. One of my issues is the stretching of conventional textures to cover hillsides. While it looks just ok, a "special texture" designed to be stretched would be better. It would look terrible on flat land but good when stretched out. Just a wild thought.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Nice to see a budding texture expert. One of my issues is the stretching of conventional textures to cover hillsides. While it looks just ok, a "special texture" designed to be stretched would be better. It would look terrible on flat land but good when stretched out. Just a wild thought.
    I guess you'd have to put the standard texture into a paint program and "squash" it, so when stretched it is stretched to it's normal size?

I looked at the texture dev doc but found it very confusing, many squares with different colour edges and such!

Regards, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    I'm not an expert just someone whose tired of painting terrain with the same old stuff. Since nobody seems to be delving in this area I thought I would expirement

Quote Originally Posted by CD705 View Post
    I guess you'd have to put the standard texture into a paint program and "squash" it, so when stretched it is stretched to it's normal size?

I looked at the texture dev doc but found it very confusing, many squares with different colour edges and such!

Regards, Jack
    Yes.. The Dev Doc on this subject did very little for me accept get me looking for my aspirin bottle. There is not much discussion on this subject in the forums either. I think people are turned off on creating new textures because of the overly complicated way in which texturing is implemented. Also, adding textures after your route has been created requires .bin file hacking, a lot of people just don't like to do that.

The problem with the special texture idea is that a 256X256 square texture tile doesn't have enough resolution to keep it from looking stretched on things like cliffsides, although I haven't checked if the tiles can be larger. That's my take on it anyway.
    Last edited by spec5sx; 12-08-2008 at 05:58 PM.

I think that Trainz 2009 now uses 1024x1024 textures. I have not messed with it too much since the vast majority of objects and textures are the blurred 2006 era and earlier.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by spec5sx View Post
    The problem with the special texture idea is that a 256X256 square texture tile doesn't have enough resolution to keep it from looking stretched on things like cliffsides, although I haven't checked if the tiles can be larger. That's my take on it anyway.
    Wang Tiles in RS are limited to 256 x 256 - perfectly fine, except the patch size when viewed in the sim is too large, which makes the texture look stretched. FWIW, a smaller patch size would work better than the ability to use larger textures. To begin with, larger textures defeat the purpose of using Wang Tiles, which is to reduce system overhead and still give you a realistic-looking scene. TRS doesn't use Wang Tiles, which is one of the reasons you have to go to a larger texture to get a better looking scene.

Aside from being a major pain to create, the biggest gripe I have with Wang Tiles in RS (aside from the size restriction) is that you can only have eight texture tiles. 12, 18 or more would look a great deal better - even at the limited terrain resolution in RS. The other item that bothers me is the saturated look of the textures once applied. Unlike MSTS with its MICROTEX.ACE, there isn't any underlying bumpmap to enhance the detail or hide color imperfections.

Although I'm sure you've got a handle on things, here's a couple of pages that explain better than those included with RS (don't bother reading these if you haven't slept lately):

Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_tile

Microsoft:
    http://research.microsoft.com/users/cohen/WangFinal.pdf

The last file is particularly interesting in the use of Wang Tile theory when using objects. Perhaps we'll have that in a future train sim (are you listening out there MS/RSDL?).
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Admitingly, I have not been doing my textures in this way. You live you learn. However after some investigating I found a software program that will auto-generate wang tiles from your source images.

http://robburke.net/mle/wang/

http://robburke.net/mle/wang/WangTil...reTransfer.zip