Thread: Lack of speedometer

Default Lack of speedometer

The developers of this program did not put a speedometer in the cab. So if we use the Route Monitor to know how fast we're driving the train, we get penalized. But if we don't use the Route Monitor, it's too difficult to gauge our speed and we'll likely exceed the speed limits, and get penalized.

Catch-22.

I noticed that as well. When I am running WoS I leave the track monitor on and pretty much ignore the evaluations.

It is my understanding that the original subway cars did not have speedometers. I find this odd but certainly possible.

Well I have come to find out that real PATH train CABS don't have speedometers. The train operator has to "sense" what speed he is going. I suppose after a while, with a lot of experience, they can get pretty close. I know that some of the newer model trains on the NYCTA have digital speedometers in the CAB, so I would guess that PATH will have them in the future also.

The speed is regulated by the signalling.
    Simply said: don't clear up the red light until a certain time has passed.

If you're too fast, you'll get too close to the red signal and will have to stop.
    If you're spot on with the speed, the red signal will clear just before you pass.

From a human factors point of view a hilarious system. But in use in many systems.

Hence no need for speedometers in the PATH trains. (and so WOS :-))
    kind regards,

plokky

Quote Originally Posted by Plokky View Post
    The speed is regulated by the signalling.
    Simply said: don't clear up the red light until a certain time has passed.

If you're too fast, you'll get too close to the red signal and will have to stop.
    If you're spot on with the speed, the red signal will clear just before you pass.

From a human factors point of view a hilarious system. But in use in many systems.

Hence no need for speedometers in the PATH trains. (and so WOS :-))
    What about tight corners?

Quote Originally Posted by BobKK47 View Post
    so I would guess that PATH will have them in the future also.
    The PA-5 cars (a set of which is currently being tested on the PATH) are said to be equipped with speedometers.