Thread: USSR locos and Bin

Default USSR locos and Bin

Privyet and S'Novim Godom - HI and HAPPY NEW YEAR (in Russian),

I've been running a few Russian locos and have discovered that some won't run under Bin unless the following mod is made in their .eng files:

change "MonitoringDeviceAppliesCutsPower" from 0 to 1

Also, some require an Alerter Reset (Z key) and, get this, startup of the "motor-fan" via the V key, too, before engaging the reverser and throttling up.

I lived in the former Soviet republic of Armenia in 2005, and got to see VL10 electrics at the Vanadzor (Kirovakhan) train station. If I make it back to visit this summer, I hope to ride one.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Privyet and S'Novim Godom - HI and HAPPY NEW YEAR (in Russian),

I've been running a few Russian locos.
    Are Russian tracks not wider than the standard gauge ones on and it would look rather odd, their wheels not running on top of the MSTS tracks rails ?

O t t o

The difference isn't that great, and the Russki locos and rolling stock look perfectly normal, at least on my MSTS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't standard gauge 4-feet 8-1/2 inches, while Russia and the Soviet republics' gauge is 4-feet 11-7/8 inches.

Looks like the Russians are taking over Armenia's railroads, leased out for the next 30 years.

http://www.railfaneurope.net/list/armenia.html
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

4. Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_gauge

From that article, Imperial guage was 5 feet. The current russian guage is 4 feet 11 7/8 inches, not that much different. Even when running in MSTS, the actual difference would be 1.5 inches in either direction, not really that much different.

Also interesting, there were a couple of cases where locomotives destined for the USSR couldn't go, the Little Joes and the Russian Decapods. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...ric_locomotive) and http://www.trainorders.com/discussio...php?10,1768491 about midway down the page.

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't standard gauge 4-feet 8-1/2 inches,
    It used to be, but these days in most countries it is 1435mm.

In the UK long welded rail usually has a gauge of 1432mm, to cut down on wheel hunting.

I suspect that the difference quoted for the Russian gauge is due to either a change to metric measurement or a rounding error when converting the metric figure to imperial.

Rob.
    onen hag oll!

Real Russian gauge is 1520mm (as well as in former USSR countries, also Mongloia and Finland)

But in MSTS we adopted satndard track scale (which is neither 1435mm, nor 1520mm, something in-between)

for my loco models I did something near 1500mm (between wheels)

7. Default

1500mm, I agree.

I opened up shapeviewer, and using the postool (available in the file library) I measured the distance between the rails and came out to about 1500mm

Even still, though the prototypes were built to slightly different gauges, It won't be noticeable in MSTS