Thread: Vista Unpack Woes (maybe)

Default Vista Unpack Woes (maybe)

Perhaps someone might help me.

Computer: a Gateway FX6800 01e - Vista OS - purchased a few weeks ago
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem: Packagaged activities won't unpack with TSUnpack. Not a one. When I attempt to unpackage an activity .apk file I get a caution window reading "Failed to open package". When I double click on the tsunpack-fix.exe I get window saying "TSUnpack registry bug already fixed"

Note: No problem unpackaging on my older Gateway Laptop, also with Vista.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Attempted solutions: "run as adminstrator" on the compatability section of train.exe Properties and on launch.exe Properties. (this is config on my laptop with Vista)

User account control "off"

MSTS Bin working fine, all other systems perfect
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Confused: why does my laptop with seemingly the same configurations unpack everything and the new desktop gamer doesn't.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Barry

Default I Found The Solution...

Thanks to anyone who gave this some thought. Here's what I was able to do and I'll outline the steps in case it might help someone else.

With the computer configured as it was in my previous I e-mail:

A) I put "regedit" into the Start search and opened the Registry Editor. I searched for and found the relevant file - "TrainSim.Packaged.Activity. The hierarchy is:

Computer
    HKey_Classes_Root
    Applications
    TrainSim.Packaged. Activitiy

I deleted this last folder. As I found this deletes immediately - it doesn't go to the recycle bin.

B) I then went to the MSTS UTILS right clicked "tsunpack.exe" and selected delete

C) I then double clicked the Recycle Bin and when it opened I clicked on "Restore all items"- this moved "tsunpack.exe" back into MSTS UTILS

Voila! - All the packaged activities open.

Thanks again to anyone who gave this some thought. If my experience and notes help, great.

Barry

There is a fix for tsunpack which has been around for a long time.

Which can be found on various file libraries.

But you fixed it, so problem solved.

O.G.

Default Same error

Okay, I recently have run into the exact same problem, have run the program to fix the unpacker numerous times and every time, it says the issue has already been corrected. However, when I go to unpack an acitivity, I too get the Failed message. This is where I get confused, because when I tried to follow the above advice using regedit, I found no trace of this file

HKey_Classes_Root
    Applications
    TrainSim.Packaged. Activitiy

So any guesses guys?

Default Problem Solved

Bad form again answering my own issue. In addition to renaming the file extensions, if you don't have msts stored in its default location, then you have direct the activities to be open where the Msts/UTILS/tsunpack.exe is located. In other words, double click the activity itself, with the new extension .tap for Vista, and when Windows wants to search for a program to open it with, direct it to the proper location for tsunpack.exe and check the box to use this program for all files of this type. Hope this is beneficial to those who are frustrated with the unpacker. -Hanes