Thread: Missing Distant Mountains option

Default Missing Distant Mountains option

Hi; I'm building a new route and using the SYBEX book Official Strategies & Secrets, and the book indicates that when selecting the route's data and using the Create New Route window, there is supposed to be an option to select Distant Mountains. My window does not show Distant mountains. Do I have to select Distant Mountains somewhere else before building the Quad Tree? Cheers; Chuck F.

As far as I am aware of whether or not Distant Mountains are to be shown, if they exist, is determined by the route's Mountains ( 00000001 ) parameter in it's *.TRK file, which set to that also clears the visible distant haze in routes which do not have any !

O t t o.

Hi Otto! Yes, I was aware of that parameter and I changed it's value after the Quad Tree was created. The option does not show in the "Create New Route" window, and the route is as flat as a blintz! Another quirk of MSTS? Cheers; and thanks for the reply. Chuck F.

Quote Originally Posted by CBF View Post
    Another quirk of MSTS?
    Chuck,

I never thought of this as a quirk, but a deliberate omission...

MSTS and it's RGE will not let you generate DM's. For that you'll need to register DEMEX. If you do, then make sure you get the Beta02 here:
    http://www.digital-rails.com/support...opic.php?t=333

You can generate DM's anytime, but with a new route I always just start things early by generating the DM quad-tree too. This lets you see the DM's from the earliest time you have an operating path in the TDB. Depending on the nature of the route, the DM quad-tree can (should) be much larger than that for the std tiles.

Note: If you run the Beta02, you need not go back into the RGE; you can generate the DM quad-tree in Demex. Your choice.

The following is something I generated for a friend. Others may have a different approach. This sort of tailors the Demex "help" file to my preferences.

"The Demex "help" file as well as the "Distant Mountains Terrain" procedure has slowly evolved over the years. You're going to need a Temporary route so that Demex can generate the DM terrain buffers, and the present "help" is not too clear on how you get one of those. This route has just enough stuff in it to get it open in the RE to get a good look at the Great White Void. :-) There's not even a quad-tree, and more importantly nothing in the tiles folder since that's where the DM terrain buffers are generated.

Once you have this route in your Routes folder, open Demex. On the left pane under General Properties, there's "DM Buffer Route". Click on the "path box" provided and select the TEMPORARY route. That's the only time you have to do this. (You can actually use any route for this, as long as the tiles folder is temporarily empty.)

Once that's done, all the stages are set.

Getting the whole thing started in Demex:
    In Demex, select "Route/Select route..." NOTE: The Demex DM button on the "button bar" is still grayed out now.
    Click on "Distant Mountains Terrain" on the menu bar.

Step 1 - I mentioned generating the DM quad-tree, and that's actually started here, so click on "Prepare Route". (Don't do this from the "Standard Terrain" menu, since it will over-write your previous std tile tree). Now either Demex or the RGE is ready to accept your DM quad-tree edits, since the Mountains toggle was changed in your TRK file, and another file was written into your TD folder. So now's the time to do the deed for DM quad-trees, since previously grayed out DM buttons in the RGE and Demex are now enabled for it. Again, your choice.

Step 2 - There ain't such a step any more :-)

Step 3 - Demex will go get the DEM's for you, exactly tailored to your quad-tree (under the "DEM Management" button). It totally bypasses the USGS site "front-end" and goes directly to your downloads. This is one of the neatest parts of the beta.

Under the "General Properties" pane you can see the general path that Demex wants at "DEM path". Depending on which kind of DEM's you select, just pay attention to the \DEM sub-folder where Demex wants you to un-zip them.

As far as me normally working in the mountains, I always select NED 1/3 (10 m) for std terrain. I use a separate NED 1 sec (30 m) download for DM's to keep it smaller, and since DM's have a greatly reduced terrain mesh complexity (1/24 of std), it doesn't make sense to use 10 m data. Just have the correct Std or DM quad-tree in view when you go for the downloads.

Once you have them in the right place, just "Create Distant Mountain Terrain"...

Step 4 - When that completes, you'll get a pop-up telling you to open the Temporary route in the RE. You can leave Demex open while you do this. If your eyes are fast, at the lower left you can note that terrain buffers are generated as the route is loaded. When you see the GWV, just close the RE.

Step 5 - At "Distant Mountains Terrain", just select "Copy DM Tiles back to Route" and you're done and DM's are "ready for viewing".

And that's about it. Once the preliminaries are fixed up the first time, subsequent projects go amazingly quickly."

regards,
    charlie

The book was written from the original pre-release version and states that in the book.

Hi Charlie. Thanks for the great explanation of DEMEX, and your post was very timely as I was just starting to search for that program. When my train simming budget allows, I'll get it. The reason why I thought the lack of Distant Mountains was a glitch, was that my book said I should have it, but as Jstdadinaz pointed out the book was printed before MSTS was released. I probably new that at one point, but that was at least six years ago. Thanks for the help, guys and Cheers; Chuck F.

Quote Originally Posted by CBF View Post
    ...your post was very timely as I was just starting to search for that program...
    Hi Chuck,

Probably too late for this route, but for your next project...

1) Generate just one tile in the RGE. That's enough to get the route loaded in DEMEX Beta02. For that route, that's the last time you need the RGE.

2) Make a marker file with USAPhotoMaps or Google. This is an initial mkr file that is not elaborate/detailed; a half mile separation between markers is good enough. It's used to help choose tiles to add to the quad-tree since you wont have the red RGE "track squigglies" to look at in DEMEX. If you use USAPhotoMaps, DEMEX will import the markers for you.

3) Open the route in DEMEX and add the rest of your tiles this way. Point to a location and right-click:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...55785#poststop
    You can also change your Start Tile this way.

regards,
    charlie

Hi Chuck !

You can have DEMEX Clone distant mountains into some routes, I did a long time ago and can't remember the details now, but is mentioned in the DEMEX Help.

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    You can have DEMEX Clone distant mountains into some routes, I did a long time ago and can't remember the details now...
    Otto,

It's the same procedure that I gave above, except that you select the Step 3 alternative to clone rather than to DEM...

regards,
    charlie