Just a little info. Ive had problems with MSTS freezing over 100 times since I got my computer with Vi$ta. I've been in and out of the forums looking for solutions and tried everything anybody has said to do. Bin installed, checked everything with route riter, new sndcfg.dat no backround programs running unnecesarily. Nothing helped but thank everyone for the info event hough it wasn't to me directly.

I started looking at the error reports and noticed that most of them, for the fault module is something called StackHash It looks something like this:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: train.exe
Application Version: 1.16.5.912
Application Timestamp: 3c1625d7
Fault Module Name: StackHash_8d13
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000008a0
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8d13
Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Additional Information 3: 8d13
Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Files that help describe the problem
Version.txt
AppCompat.txt
memory.hdmp
minidump.mdmp

I googled StackHash 8d13 and found a whole lot of problems people have been having. Most problems I read about seemed to be with IE7 shutting down unexpectedly and this would be the same fault module. 1 post had said if you turned off you DEP ( data execution prevention) for the particular program that would solve the problem. Well I did it with MSTS and so far so good. Maybe it will happen again because before I could play it for a day or two with no freezes and them BAM here we go again.

I looked on the M$ websight and they have something about the stackhash. to the best of my knowledge, which isn't much, it has something to do with memory and how its used to load graphics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people who know anything about this thing. More questions and few answers as to what the cause or purpose is. I searched my computer using stackhash as the keyword and nothing came up.

If you're having problems with MSTS crashing and have done everything the good folks in the Trainsim community has suggested give this a try. It might work and it might not.

PS I know my system can handle MSTS because when my other comp crashed I lost everything pertaining to MSTS except Sandpatch, Rodger's Pass and the default stuff from the disk. So, I went out and bought FSX and my system will handle that decently with all the sliders except water 3/4 maxed out. Maybe there is something in Vi$ta that's just naturally messedup. Goes to what my ol' Pappy always told me; never hire a kid to do a man's job. So I'm kinda wonderin' is Micro$oft a corporation or a nursery. My bet would be on the latter.

Anybody having the same problem as me who tries this and it works for you let me know because I'm still hitting the save activity key every 3 to 4 minutes. Paranoia done set in.

thank you