Thread: Google sketch up to edit a locomotive?

Default Google sketch up to edit a locomotive?

I just got google sketup version 7 and am interested in using it to work on locomotive, in the sense of changing their physical shape. I was wondering just how do you go about doing this. Please help me.
    Thanks,
    Griffin
    Last edited by motorman725; 06-09-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Hi Griffin,
    There is no way to edit a locomotive in MSTS. The locomotives exist in the game as SHAPE files, or 's' files. They cannot be edited in any CAD package, including Sketchup.
    Only the original creator has the Cad files of their models.
    You will have to learn to create your own locomotives using any of the common 3d cad packages such as TrainSim Modeler, 3dCanvas or Gmax.
    There are plenty of tutorials and a bit of a learning curve involved with all of them, I'm afraid.

Rob
    Pentium i7-4700 3.4 Ghz QUADCORE 8 Thread, Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Main Board, Speed 1600DDR3 x 8 GIG RAM, WIN 7 -64 Bit Home Premium SP1, Gigabyte-GTX650-2 Gig, Crucial 240Gig SATA3 SSD, 1TB SATA3 Western Dig Caviar Blue 7,200RPM, Casecom ADK-B800SM-82PLUS 800W Power supply.

Rob,
    You said you have to make these from scratch. Is it possible to make one in google sketchup (since I am already familier with the program) or can you only do it in the programs you listed. Which is the easiest to use. I'll try gmax if sketchup will not work.

Griffin

Hi Griffin,
    I've seen some amazing models created in Sketchup, but I fear a locomotive with the associated animations and textures, would be a big ask, whereby, the mainstream cad packages like Gmax are better suited and integrated with the necessary functions (plug ins) to get the model into the sim.
    Sketchup is brilliant for scenery items though, so learning sketchup won't be a waste of time.
    I personally use Rhinoceros for modeling then put the model through 3dCanvas and export as a shape file, although I haven't done locos, I have built quite a few scenery models this way.
    I guess, if you can still download Gmax, that would be the package I would choose.

Best of Luck.
    Rob
    Pentium i7-4700 3.4 Ghz QUADCORE 8 Thread, Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3 Main Board, Speed 1600DDR3 x 8 GIG RAM, WIN 7 -64 Bit Home Premium SP1, Gigabyte-GTX650-2 Gig, Crucial 240Gig SATA3 SSD, 1TB SATA3 Western Dig Caviar Blue 7,200RPM, Casecom ADK-B800SM-82PLUS 800W Power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrosswitch View Post
    Hi Griffin,
    I've seen some amazing models created in Sketchup, but I fear a locomotive with the associated animations and textures, would be a big ask, whereby, the mainstream cad packages like Gmax are better suited and integrated with the necessary functions (plug ins) to get the model into the sim.
    Sketchup is brilliant for scenery items though, so learning sketchup won't be a waste of time.
    I personally use Rhinoceros for modeling then put the model through 3dCanvas and export as a shape file, although I haven't done locos, I have built quite a few scenery models this way.
    I guess, if you can still download Gmax, that would be the package I would choose.

Best of Luck.
    Rob
    Alright I am toying with it now. Many thanks. If there is any tip from anyone please let me in on some, as I have never done anything like this. Thank You.
    Griffin

If you are going to use gmax I would suggest downloading the tutorial from Elvas Tower. You will have to become a registered user at Elvas Tower to get it. It's worth it.

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...5&st=0&start=0

This is an update of Volkerís original gmax tutorial and will take you through getting gmax and the MSTS exporter up and running on your computer then demonstrate how to build and texture a 060 shunter with animation.

Once you have built this and got it running in MSTS will give you most of the skills you will need to get any model into MSTS.

Good luck.

You only need to know how to map and animate in a program the can import DXF, OBJ, 3DS, or FBX files
    http://sites.google.com/site/westcoa...s/tutorial-two

AFAIK the sketchup to msts plugin does not support animation.

That said, SU is an excellent modeling tool for static objects, like buildings. It does have a tendency to create too many polys but there are several ways to either remove them (turn out display of endpoints, turn off display of profile, then create and clean up your components) or avoid them in the first place (do everything in individual components from the get-go).
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.