Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Railworks AI traffic test

Default Railworks AI traffic test

Lots of speculation about whether they actually fixed the AI traffic or not, only way we're actually gonna find out is if someone buys RailWorks and tests to see if it ReallyWorks. With that in mind, I've created a small test route, attached at bottom. Those of you brave spirits who buy RailWorks and want to help, download the zip and extract, attempt to install the route into RailWorks.

Obviously the first part of the test is Willy Duit, does the .rpk made with the railsim mark 2 package manager work on patch mark 3 sorry I mean the new game? Good test route for that, default track, trainsets, and signals, no scenery.

Part 2, will the included free roam scenario run, or does it crash the game? I fervently hope it crashes cuz that would mean they made such drastic changes to the AI traffic logic that old AI won't run at all in the new. If it does run;

Player starts near Yard 1. In railsim he can't throw S1 to get on the mainline, since the first AI train due to spawn from Portal 1 in 15 minutes has all the switches locked. Hopefully this is different, can you select service 1, drive from Yard 1 to Yard 2 or Yard 3? (In railsim I can get onto the main by driving past S1 even tho the points are set against me, but then I'm trapped on the mainline since I can't throw a switch to get off the main.) If an AI train isn't currently approaching, can you drive back and forth from yard to yard entering and leaving the mainline at will? If so, how does that affect the AI trains? Will an AI train stop if you're occupying the main, then restart and resume speed after you clear the junction?

If this doesn't work, any of you scenarios wizzes willing to take a shot at it, delete the scenario and create a new one. Four AI trains spawning from Portal 1 and traveling to Portal 2 15 minutes apart, 10:15, 10:30, 10:45, and 11:00. I tossed in two player services but only one is really needed. No cheating - DO NOT give the player a path to see if that allows him on and off the main, that's not the point of this. The point is can you drive back and forth from one yard to another 3 times, a dozen times, a hundred times, in other words where and when at the whim of the player. If the player has to yield to AI traffic, IOW any AI train takes precedence over the player, that's fine with me cuz that's how MSTS PO&N works. If the AI train locks a switch X distance away or X number of signals away that's fine too, what I'm looking for is ANYTHING I can work around, since there's no possible workaround for the current setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (69.8 KB, 415 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default see what i can do

I'll download Railworks and install tomorrow, trying to install to D: or whatever drive, not C: (!)
    Then :
    - do some basic testing
    - create a free roam scenario
    - test
    - make a backup, already saw some options in Steam for this or just copy/paste to another partition
    - install some add-ons I bought for Hagen <> Siegen to see if that still works
    - again some basic testwork
    - drive one or two standard scenarios to the end, could take some time
    - then give your suggestions/proposal a try, if an installer for the rpk can be found
    - then report back, could be no sooner then Sunday

grtz
    Albert
    Last edited by marjal; 06-12-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Default what to expect

Sniper, Mike Simpson wrote :
    in : https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282583

This also sets up the correct RouteProperties.xml and ScenarioProperties.xml files required for the new sim.

So : installing your rpk could give me problems

Albert

OK, two ours later : https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282583

I'll just wait and see
    Last edited by marjal; 06-12-2009 at 08:24 AM.

I just ran your test.

I was able to run to both yards 2 and 3.

I was unable to throw SOME of the the switches however, until after I had passed the signals guarding the switches. Was that because the route was just quick and dirty? Or a problem with the AI handling still?

Talking How would I know?

I didn't shell out the sheckels yet, don't have ReWorks to test it on. Hank (SignalMaster) said he was unable to throw the switches, you're saying you CAN throw the switches as long as you're past the signal guarding the switch? If that's the case it sounds promising, I can work around that by placing the signals further from the switches. What happens if you pull off into a siding (British "passing loop") or yard and leave the switch set to exit the main? Does the AI train reset it when it comes, or go into that creeping mode?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    I didn't shell out the sheckels yet, don't have ReWorks to test it on. Hank (SignalMaster) said he was unable to throw the switches, you're saying you CAN throw the switches as long as you're past the signal guarding the switch? If that's the case it sounds promising, I can work around that by placing the signals further from the switches. What happens if you pull off into a siding (British "passing loop") or yard and leave the switch set to exit the main? Does the AI train reset it when it comes, or go into that creeping mode?
    Jim

I reran your test route....
    1) Service 1 proceed from yard and clear S1 and signal....STOP
    2) Reverse Service 1, on 2D map ctrl click S1 for the x-over, blue path line stops at the opposing switch which does not respond to ctrl click on the 2D map
    3) proceed through x-over and stop clear of switch AND signal....STOP
    4) Reverse Service 1, return to 2D map, ctrl click on switch for route back to original track
    5) Switch does not allow a path across the x-over, I'm stuck on track 2.
    6) Did not wait out for the AI to materialize.

How do you interpret that?

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    I never saw an AI actually move down the track during the whole time I was running it. I was probably doing the moves for 10 minutes or so, and saw one AI train beyond yard 3, but it was just sitting there. I went into yard3 and then back out, and by then the AI train had disappeared.

I'll run it again later on.

Jim --

There's a slightly easier route that perhaps gives a more demanding test of the AI that I'd like to see in RailWorks.

See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf9GfsWC9iA

The red loco is under player control; the AI trainz come from the brick portals.

If RW can do this I'm buying it for sure. Otherwise ... .

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Jim --

There's a slightly easier route that perhaps gives a more demanding test of the AI that I'd like to see in RailWorks.

See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf9GfsWC9iA

The red loco is under player control; the AI trainz come from the brick portals.

If RW can do this I'm buying it for sure. Otherwise ... .

Phil
    If Jim looks over my results of his simple AI layout test and says it fails, your Tranz test route will never pass.....

Talking You still trying to sell me that old broken down toy train set?

Hee-hee, heya Phil! Yeah, I think I saw that video before, I was also looking at this;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282085

Only question is, did they get rid of that toy train interface and get some actual realistic cabviews? And are they 3D?

Hank, are you having a senior moment, or did they change SHIFT click to CTRL click in the 2D map?

Anyway what you SHOULD see is four AI trains spawning from portal 1 and driving to portal 2 at 10:15, 10:30, 10:45, and 11:00. Again that assumes the AI set up and added to portal 1 in railsim will run at all in ReWorks, dunno. Let me move the two head signals back away from the facing points of all the switches, see if we can determine for sure that the player CAN throw a switch if there are no signals between him and the switch. That would mean the signals are actually used for something more than decoration, anyway. Oh rats.

Well, gotta start over, I'll be back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (53.2 KB, 325 views)