Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Railworks Boxed Version Discount

Default Railworks Boxed Version Discount

Now that some have blown off steam, I would like to mention the following regarding the discount on the boxed version of Railworks (which I would prefer due to the sheer size of the download version). In order to qualify for the discount-which is quite excellent and worth the effort, you need to send the original Railsimulator DVD or manual, including a completed application form via freepost to Railsimulator. This is where the problem arises from my viewpoint: although an option is provided to include a cheque (in pounds) I have no clue what the exact amount in the South African Rand should be due to continous fluctuation in the exchange rate. The other option is to include your credit card details on the application form to be included. I shudder to think of the financial jam I will end up in if the relevant envelope ends up in the wrong hands. Some unethical person might have a shopping spree on the internet at my expense! I would prefer another method of payment, e.g. via the Railsimulator.com or their sales partner's website. Another method would be to wait for the release of Railworks in South Africa and then to be allowed to utilize the discount code provided by Railsimulator.com to qualify for the discount locally. As things stand currently I will have to wait for the local release and pay full price, as I will not be eligible for the discount which will be rather sad, as I am a legtimate owner of Railsimulator. The RRP on South African web sites equates to approximately $100 as a matter of interest (more than double to amount on Steam (excluding the discount!). Any thoughts on this?

Regards, Johann

You are right. The cost of the download to a South African would be ridiculous considering what we have to pay per gig.

Go to your bank (a branch that has international exchange facilities) and get a bank guaranteed cheque. Put it with your filled in trade-up order form and the back page of your manual in an envelope and post.

It probably won't be free-post, being from South Africa, but the address will be the same.
    Last edited by Colin; 06-13-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: left out the word "that"

Smile

Thank you for the advice, Colin.

Well that's what I'm going to do.

Forgot to say that the cheque will obviously be in pounds.

I assumed so Colin. Do you know whether a passport or some other documentation will be required by a local bank? Foreign currency can be tricky.

I presume just your ID book if you're South African. If you go to the branch where you bank and they have that facility it should be easy.

Just an update. A local bank advised me this morning that South Africans are not allowed to send bank cheques in foreign currencies. They suggested an EFT, which is not one of the options provided for by "Railworks". Regards

Reading about this again, why did RS.com not do what other software vendors do and have them register the product code and e-mail address, some not providing technical support unless that is being done first ?

All that is then necessary in order to get the discount is to just buy it on their web site in the usual way.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    All that is then necessary in order to get the discount is to just buy it on their web site in the usual way.
    Not being a gamer, I have no idea why they made this choice with Steam. Is it possible it was a cheaper distribution method than retail or their own download store? Obviously, Steam gets some kind of cut from the take.

A "railroad simulator" just doesn't seem to fit the genre, IMHO.

Regards,
    Hank

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by johanno4 View Post
    Just an update. A local bank advised me this morning that South Africans are not allowed to send bank cheques in foreign currencies. They suggested an EFT, which is not one of the options provided for by "Railworks". Regards
    Yeah, I got it all wrong. Shows when last I wrote a cheque or got a bank draft. I do all my banking on the internet or by card. Apologies.

Seems like we'll have to wait till it arrives here and pay the full price. Humm...