Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam doesn't like antivirus software?

Question Steam doesn't like antivirus software?

I was did some poking around on steampowered.com and found this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...9828-SFLZ-9289

It seems that it not does play nice with a lot of Anit-Virus programs. For example, it recommends completely uninstalling AVG which is the program I happen to use.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse with my posts but what exactly is the Steam client doing that it can't even stand the presence of anti-virus software?

Steam isn't alone, I've found plenty of programs that don't get along with my anti-virus.

Don't worry too much, just keep it in mind when you're installing (most problems seem to occur around this) and you get sudden crashes or errors try disabling anti-virus.

In bitdefender if I disable real time scanning most issues tend to go away and I can proceed with an install from a trusted source. Just don't forget to put it back on after you're done.

To me, any outside program that requires a complete uninstall of AV software has to be the biggest pile of horse-poo on the planet.Now, what comes out of fresh horse-poo? Steam.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    To me, any outside program that requires a complete uninstall of AV software has to be the biggest pile of horse-poo on the planet.Now, what comes out of fresh horse-poo? Steam.
    no problems with McAfee here

No problems with NOD32 either and that is listed as one of troublesome ones.

John

I'm telling you man, these days developers of games and the platforms they launch from think they own your PC. GTR-EVO launches from Steam, with 'automatic updates'. One automatic update changed the game so folder with all the addons & skins (2 gb in some cases) got moved from game folder to My Documents (renamed: AnyOldJunk in windows 7) folder. You can guess what mayhem that caused.

I can understand having to disable AV for an install, I do that by default for any software - but to recommend a complete removal of it is really taking the P!

Has anybody thought of posting that recommendation to AVG. Might be interesting to get their respones on it.
    Last edited by zarker99; 06-14-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zarker99 View Post
    Has anybody thought of posting that recommendation to AVG. Possible lawsuit action there...?
    Not yet, but will be done in a moment !

O t t o

Sorry, but worked perfectly well with my AVG. I think you could open this up to all AV type programs, but the one thing you don't have knowledge about is the "noddy" using them.
    Chris

I am sorry but this is making a mountain out of nothing. All that article says is that YOU MIGHT have a problem it DOES NOT say you will.

This is no different than when using any other software with Anti Virus programs, some cause interference for some programs and the usual trouble shooting methods apply ie Setting up the anti virus program to play nice with others.

John

So I tried contacting AVG - CZ and this is what happened twice during completing their support forms:

Don't you think that it is high time that somebody pulls the plug on all this crap ?

STEAM saying that AVG may or may not interfere with using STEAM is not good enough and am not going to take any chances that it may.

It's like saying that the brakes on my new car may or may not fail or that inserting the key into the ignition and turning it may or may not start the engine !

I would not encourage anybody to lower their Internet defenses for one second for any reason and perhaps you should carefully read this if you have not done so already:
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...cker-worm.html

O t t o
    Attached Images Attached Images