Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Railworks - US train physics observations

Default Railworks - US train physics observations

Hi

I ran the "Slow Climb South" activity last night and have some observations and comments.

The train is quite heavy and consists of two locos with 40 loaded cement cars followed by one pusher.

Heading up the hill, I felt the power applied and how the train moved was probably close to prototypical (a good thing) although there still are no power notches, we can still pick the power percentage wanted (a bad thing).

The loco has no visible ammeter (a bad thing) so you either need to use the mouse to move the view to look at the throttle or use the F3 or F4 assistance to see the power setting.

OK, lets move to the Summit and see what happens now that we are switching from power to braking.

To enable Dynamic Braking you first are required to set the controls to the Advanced mode (I'd call that a bad thing). Well, our speed is picking up let's put the Dynamics in Setup so we will be ready. OK, I've pressed the "." key and the train is slowing but what's happened?

Well, as with the throttle we also have notchless dynamics (a bad thing) but this time there is only one way to find out how much is applied, you MUST look at the Dynamics lever as there is no other way to get feedback that I could see! (A definite bad thing!).

OK, the train speed could be fully controlled with the Dynamics and I never needed to actually apply a setting as high as the first notch, setup gave enough braking even with no air braking used! Definitely a bad simulation of physics on this grade. When I say that Setup gave enough braking I mean that one of the percentage setings when the Dynamic Braking Lever was pointing near the Setup setting was all the braking I needed; there was no actual Setup notch.

/Sarcasm
    A heavy train like this not requiring any air braking and minimal Dynamic Braking down the Cajon grade to San Bernadino is really prototypical isn't it!
    /-Sarcasm

I won't make more comments about what I think of the sound qualities but the graphics and frame rates are excellent.

Summarizing - It runs train quietly and looks great doing it but it still isn't a real SIMULATOR that can do a decent job of simulating real world physics! (IMHO)

Kids will love this game.

GaryG

Yeah, it seems that they still have failed to improve the US locomotives, other than providing us with BNSF paint schemes that the community had already reskinned ages ago.
    The only advice i can say is try Justin Cornells GP38-2, its the most realistic US engine made for the game, with notched throttle and dynamics. Excellent sounds as well.
    The rs.com team could learn alot from a model like that, it blows the default stuff out of the water, especially when it comes to sounds, i dont know how with "professional equipment" they could come up with such god awful sounds, i can do better with my $200 video camera.
    On vacation from failsim land

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
    Yeah, it seems that they still have failed to improve the US locomotives, other than providing us with BNSF paint schemes that the community had already reskinned ages ago.
    The only advice i can say is try Justin Cornells GP38-2, its the most realistic US engine made for the game, with notched throttle and dynamics. Excellent sounds as well.
    The rs.com team could learn alot from a model like that, it blows the default stuff out of the water, especially when it comes to sounds, i dont know how with "professional equipment" they could come up with such god awful sounds, i can do better with my $200 video camera.
    Where can this GP38 be found? Trying to put a positive view on things, not many people fly the default Microsoft Flight Sim aircraft either because they are pretty bad . Although this comparison falls apart in comparison with X-Plane...

Matt

Default Default physics

Just because the default physics settings may not seem realistic, this does not mean that they cannot be adjusted to be more satisfactory. The variables available for determining how the train will react are what is really important. I have already seen them for the steam loco and they are the same as for RS. Whether there are any internal improvements for the steam loco, I don't yet know since I haven't had time to download.
    But GaryG's problems with the braking and power should not be considered as terminal for the sim.
    Bill

La Sauve Majeure, near Bordeaux, France - into the "Entre Deux Mers" wine country

Thumbs up

Seeing and testing what can be done with the Class 86 (made for Rail Simulator, but perfectly working into RailWorks) brake and power control let me a little more optimistic about the sim possibilities.

The only problem is, may be, the time it will take to understand how to do what we need... remember how long it took to make something a little more realistic with MSTS

It seem we have some genius at work in Great Britain, they are showing us the way...

friendly,
    Jean-Louis

Although I don't yet have RW, much of what I could see wrong with RS could be at least significantly attributed to data that was input incorrectly rather than actual misworking of the underlying engine. If you put in data without understanding much of what it means, how it relates, or how it should be, you won't get good results. It looked like some of the data in US RS locomotives came from some of my physics updates, but putting some of it into the wrong parameters (not understanding how tractive effort relates to MSTS parameters). Further, the weights were way off. Stuff like that will make units behave oddly, even if the game engine is working as it should.

Default I agree with Bob

Bob,
    Your observations are in line with my experiences with RS. I have become very satisfied with what I can do with steam locos on RS and hope that at least a little more is possible with RW. Big thing needed to get US steamers going is airbrakes working on steam locos.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hobbs View Post
    I have become very satisfied with what I can do with steam locos on RS and hope that at least a little more is possible with RW. Big thing needed to get US steamers going is airbrakes working on steam locos.
    Are you saying that we have to carry on making improvements RS.com should have made ?

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Are you saying that we have to carry on making improvements RS.com should have made ?

O t t o
    Well you did with MSTS?!? . Seriously though, I hope they do get around to improving these items, but they have a lot of stuff to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
    ammeter works too- in both power and braking mode. :chukle:

honestly though, you are right, they could have done those same things i did. all i did was look to see what was available and how i could make use of it. sounds should have been a major show for RS/RW, there is soooo much that can be done as the sim stands right now, they just didnt do it. simple things like dynamic brake sounds (also on the gp38-2) were a snap to do.

on a side note, i did give them the GP38 first, way before it was available here. i never heard anything about it.