Thread: Lost All Patience

Default Lost All Patience

I still can't get the scenario markers to work. I've read the posts, tried to follow the directions and suggestions, tried the work arounds the quirks etc and still get the "marker missing" error message. All I want to do is have the AI trains take a specified path out of a yard to a specified main line track.

The ability to establish the routes of AI Trains is about as basic a functionality as there is for a rail simulator. This is the most basic function of real world rail operators...ROUTE trains. They route them exactly where they want them to go, starting and stopping exactly where they want them to start and stop, and exactly WHEN they want them to and exactly how long they want them to. This should be the most basic, most robust, simplest to achieve aspect of ANY rail simulator. It should have received absolute top priority before eye candy, before engine physics, before anything else. And after two major releases...they still can't get it to work correctly.

I WANT TO RUN TRAINS NOT DEBUG COMPUTER PROGRAMS!!!!!!

If I'm sounding POed...I am.

To hell with it, I'm going back to flying my Black Shark helicopter. I'm not that good of a pilot but at least the software works (amazingly well). If you want to see a true professional quality simulator look at Black Shark. Train routing should be childs play compare to the complexity of simulating a combat helicopter to the versatility and fidelity achieved in Black Shark.
    Last edited by CajunRon; 06-18-2009 at 11:27 PM.

I absolutely agree with you. The dearth of user-made scenarios is evidence that you and I are not alone.

I hit my head against the wall with RS trying something simple - all I wanted to do was get a yard engine from the turntable at Bath Green Park, across the two mainlines, to the south yard lead. I thought the use of dynamic destination markers in RW would solve the problem, but no.

Making scenarios is what I found so fun in MSTS. Just can't do it in RW.

Please - if the developers are reading these forums - please fix this!! Give the scenario creator absolute control over pathing, both for AI and for drivable trains. It's a must.

We could see some RailWorks virtual railroads if we had that kind of control.

Default Artificial Ignorance

I'm with Ron, after reading Neutronic's post on what to avoid I started a new test route to see if the workarounds could work for what I want to do. 10 minutes after starting to lay track I quit, having run totally out of inspiration. I suspect Kuju was trying to write Lemmings;

http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/lemmings/

and what they got wasn't quite dumb enough to be funny, so they converted it to a train game instead.

There is a lot that can be done in RS FREEROAM scenarios, including running multiple AI services everywhere, which however can not interact with the various Player services which can by run one at the time, switching from one to the other if required, not possible in Standard scenarios.

I do not need a scenario which tells me what to do and prefer to do what I want, which is what Sniper taught my with his MSTS Port Ogden and Northern routes FREESTYLE activities.

My CAJON-OTTO version of the B-SB and my Denmark-2000-OTTO-ICE-3 version demonstrate what I mean.

If RS.com have messed that up in RailWorks then their DVD will end up in the trash can and shall carry on with RS which has a lot more working functionality to offer !

O t t o

Default Bird Brains

I don't think they particularly messed anything up, but they don't seem to have fixed anything either. Over in the enemy camp one guy said;
    sniper297 wrote:* The Dispatcher has been improved with added functionality including error reporting for problematic scenarios and further enhanced AI traffic handling.[/b] Um, I'm not buying it this time, especially since the reports I'm getting back show the AI traffic is still nothing more than animated background scenery rather than actual "traffic".
    Response:

"It's not a false statement. A textual error message is given when confronted with a scenario failed to load, and you can now add scenario specific route markers to help with the AI traffic handling.
    It's not the complete re-work though, that some of us were hoping for. It will still '!!!!' if you set traffic that requires a signal hold up to run."

Well, that's great, I buy a bicycle with no wheels on the promise that the seller will eventually install wheels, then he welds the wheels to the axles so it's a pretty lawn ornament. Now he wants to sell me a new bike with non rotating wheels but it will tell me why I can't go anywhere when I try to ride it.

"which however can not interact with the various Player services"

That's what kills it for me, switching cars around and hauling peddler freights from town to industry to town is fun, but to get a big YEEHAH! out of it I gotta have interaction with other trains. And quite frankly I'm getting seriously sincerely burned out on this, 8 years of trying to work around oversimplified programming designed for casual players to drive passenger trains while admiring the scenery has left me uninspired.

The more I study RS, the more it looks like they stole a bird watching simulator from the Audubon Society and added some trains to it. RW is the same bird watching simulator with improved graphics. Curious, do all the persistent pervasive bird chirping noises sound more realistic now?

Running trains through pretty scenery WITHOUT AI interaction becomes boring very quickly.
    As I have stated before RW was released, RW is nothing more than a re-packaged, re-named RS with no substansive improvements. I want more than improved graphics.