Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card Setting Question

Default Graphics Card Setting Question

Could anyone tell me the optimum settings for an NVIDIA GTX 260 card with RW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by drbarryk View Post
    Could anyone tell me the optimum settings for an NVIDIA GTX 260 card with RW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Barry

For optimal image quality make sure youíre using your monitorís native resolution and try the settings Iíve listed in this thread -

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282817

Default thanks

Can you recommend any other parameter settings besides the ones you listed?

Also, from your experience - is Railworks more compatable with ATI or NVIDIA - I swapped my ATI HD4850 for the GTX 260. Since I'm not sure how to get the most from the 260 it's hard to make a meaningful comparison.

Thanks, Barry

Also, from your experience - is Railworks more compatible with ATI or NVIDIA - I swapped my ATI HD4850 for the GTX 260. Since I'm not sure how to get the most from the 260 it's hard to make a meaningful comparison.
    I am looking forward to your findings as I am at crossroads at the moment trying to decide which path to take, the ATI or NVidia one.

Does RS / RW use OPENGL, favored more by ATI than NVidia cards. Which are running quieter and create less heat ?

O t t o

Can you recommend any other parameter settings besides the ones you listed?

Also, from your experience - is Railworks more compatable with ATI or NVIDIA - I swapped my ATI HD4850 for the GTX 260. Since I'm not sure how to get the most from the 260 it's hard to make a meaningful comparison.

Thanks, Barry

If you donít use nHancer just set the Nvidia control panel to 8x multi-sampling AA and 16x AF. Make sure you are using the ďRailWorks.exe.Ē in the profile.

Iím currently using RailWorks on two machines one with an ATI 4870x2 and one with an Nvidia GTX 285. Just like I experienced with RailSim, when set up properly using combined multi/super sampling AA, Nvidia does a better job as far as image quality goes.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Does RS / RW use OPENGL, favored more by ATI than NVidia cards. Which are running quieter and create less heat ?

I have no idea where you came up with the idea that RailSim or RailWorks uses OpenGL, itís a DirectX 9 game. As far as Nvidia goes, they have always had better OpenGL support although there have been major improvements lately with ATI and OpenGL.

None of the Nvidia cards that I have used over the last three years (8800 GTX, 8800 Ultra, GTX 280, and GTX 285) have created any more heat than my ATI cards. As a matter of fact my current ATI card does run a lot hotter than my Nvidia card along with a lot noisier fan.

Talking

I have no idea where you came up with the idea that RailSim or RailWorks uses OpenGL, itís a DirectX 9 game. As far as Nvidia goes, they have always had better OpenGL support although there have been major improvements lately with ATI and OpenGL.

None of the Nvidia cards that I have used over the last three years (8800 GTX, 8800 Ultra, GTX 280, and GTX 285) have created any more heat than my ATI cards. As a matter of fact my current ATI card does run a lot hotter than my Nvidia card along with a lot noisier fan.[/QUOTE]

For the FIRST time you and I TOTALLY agree on something. I am currently using an ATI X850 Platinum which I upgraded from a ATI 9600 XT. In between the two I had a Nvidia 7600 GS which I gave to my son. Otto you are a good guy in my sight but sometimes you are waaaaaay out in left field.

Quote Originally Posted by snootnose View Post
    but sometimes you are waaaaaay out in left field.
    Sometimes???, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by snootnose View Post
    I have no idea where you came up with the idea that RailSim or RailWorks uses OpenGL, it’s a DirectX 9 game.
    I am asking a question: Does RS / RW use OPENGL ?

For the FIRST time you and I TOTALLY agree on something. I am currently using an ATI X850 Platinum which I upgraded from a ATI 9600 XT. In between the two I had a Nvidia 7600 GS which I gave to my son. Otto you are a good guy in my sight but sometimes you are waaaaaay out in left field.
    Nobody is perfect and knows it all and asking silly questions gets me the right answers some of the time !

I have always been an ATI fan but after 2 X1950XT cards expired am having second thoughts.

O t t o

Question No SLI still

Thanks, Barry
    I have my GTX 260 (SLI) at all highest settings at 1900x1200 and no matter what settings I have in game or video card settings doesn't seem to really change much. Even SLI on or off doesn't change the frame rate. All still looks great but doesn't really seem to push the graphics card.

If anybody knows, and do any Steam games use SLI
    Last edited by bugsbunny; 06-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
    I have my GTX 260 (SLI) at all highest settings at 1900x1200 and no matter what settings I have in game or video card settings doesn't seem to really change much. Even SLI on or off doesn't change the frame rate. All still looks great but doesn't really seem to push the graphics card.

If anybody knows, and do any Steam games use SLI

Yes there are plenty of Steam games that benefit from dual GPUís but unfortunately RailWorks isnít one of them unless you are running at very high resolutions (2048x1536/2560x1600).

The other let down is the fact that PhysX still doesnít seem to be beneficial the way ďNvidia intended it to beĒ. I threw in an extra video card (GTX 280) in addition to my main card GTX 285 to see if moving the PhysX workload over to the GTX 280 would help performance. It still does not seem to be doing anything.

Right now as it stands just like we experienced with RailSim the best performance/image quality is obtained from a single most powerful video card (GTX 280 or GTX 285).