Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card Setting Question

Quote Originally Posted by djt1 View Post
    Right now as it stands just like we experienced with RailSim the best performance/image quality is obtained from a single most powerful video card (GTX 280 or GTX 285).
    Dunno about RS/RW and single video cards but I did discover than MSTS can make use of an dual card SLI setup if you use nHancer to force the driver to spread the anti-aliasing across both cards. Doubles your fps. Leaving AA alone won't do that.

Anyway, you might try the same thing w/ RS/RW with SLI and see if it has the same effect.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    Dunno about RS/RW and single video cards but I did discover than MSTS can make use of an dual card SLI setup if you use nHancer to force the driver to spread the anti-aliasing across both cards. Doubles your fps. Leaving AA alone won't do that.

Anyway, you might try the same thing w/ RS/RW with SLI and see if it has the same effect.

Iíve tried that in the past with MSTS but you will only notice a difference if youíre using say two weaker video cards that would not otherwise be able to handle high AA along with high resolution by themselves. Just like with any other CPU bound game, any high end video cardís now can handle the AA without it even flinching as far as MSTS is concerned.

Ok setup a profile in Nvidia then used nhancer to force sli and optimization and it does work good,
    Picture doesn't really do it justice.
    (the sli load balancing grapch will show up and will show sli running in game)

also in game antialiasing must be set to 8x, (16x looks terrible, but 8x great) Than I force enhancements with the nvidia driver and Nhancer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
    Ok setup a profile in Nvidia then used nhancer to force sli and optimization and it does work good,

also in game antialiasing must be set to 8x, (16x looks terrible, but 8x great) Than I force enhancements with the nvidia driver and Nhancer

The question is what is the performance advantage?

Post some comparison screen shots with SLI enabled and disabled. If you can try and take some screens in easily identifiable locations, say on Cajon and Iíll duplicate them and show what I get in the same location with one video card.

The question is what is the performance advantage?

Post some comparison screen shots with SLI enabled and disabled. If you can try and take some screens in easily identifiable locations, say on Cajon and Iíll duplicate them and show what I get in the same location with one video card.
    It may be correct that new cards would not provide any benefit from what I described but it does make a difference on older cards. I use a pair of 7900GTX cards from evga and as I said, forcing the driver to spread the AA task on those two does result in a doubling of fps.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

It may be correct that new cards would not provide any benefit from what I described but it does make a difference on older cards. I use a pair of 7900GTX cards from evga and as I said, forcing the driver to spread the AA task on those two does result in a doubling of fps.

Yes, just as I mentioned before Ė

you will only notice a difference if youíre using say two weaker video cards that would not otherwise be able to handle high AA along with high resolution by themselves.

if youíre using two weaker video cards that would not otherwise be able to handle high AA along with high resolution by themselves SLI would give you an improvement. MSTS only goes up to 1600x1200 resolution (which is not considered high resolution anymore) and even three years ago when I was using the 8800 GTX, that card had no problem with 16xAA at 1600x1200. Today a GTX 280/285 wonít even flinch with MSTS at 16x Super Sampling AA/16xAF at 1600x1200.

Now with RailSim/RailWorks itís a slightly different story. One GTX 280/285 can easily handle 1920x1200 with 8xAA. Performance improvements can be had with dual GPUís say at 2560x1600/2048x1536 using 8xAA, but at that resolution you donít really need anything above 4xAA from what Iíve seen.

As an example the last time I tested dual GPUís vs. single with RailSim, a single GTX 280 was keeping up with two GPUís (4870x2/Cross Fire) at 2048x1536 at 4xAA.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post

NVidia 9800Gt set to AF=16X, nhance, AA=16X, supersampling, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by xofld View Post
    NVidia 9800Gt set to AF=16X, nhance, AA=16X, supersampling, looks great.
    Depending on what youíre resolution is (1920x1200 as an example) 8x combined multi/supper sampling AA using nHancer should be enough.

Depending on what youíre resolution is (1920x1200 as an example) 8x combined multi/supper sampling AA, 16xAF using nHancer should be enough.

Depending on what youíre resolution is (1920x1200 as an example) 8x combined multi/supper sampling AA using nHancer should be enough.

Depending on what youíre resolution is (1920x1200 as an example) 8x combined multi/supper sampling AA, 16xAF using nHancer should be enough.
    Resolution=1440x900

Using gtx260 in SLI and using 32x with nhancer (just my in game setting is at 8x)
    What setting are you using in game?