Thread: manual vs automatic switches

Default manual vs automatic switches

The use of automatic (dispatcher-controlled) switches on mainlines on the Bath-Templecombe route make creation of simple shunting scenarios impossible. The dispatcher absolutely will not allow the simplest of moves, even with zero AI traffic.

My question is: if all the automatic switches on the route were converted to manual switches, would that shift routing control to the player/scenario creator, versus the dispatcher?

Thumbs down Yes and no

With MSTS the player couldn't change automatic switches in an activity, only in explore route mode. RS/RW is the same way, standard scenarios the player can throw manual switches but not automatic switches, free roam he can change all the switches. There the similarity ends. The purpose of locking the player out of changing automatic switches in MSTS was to prevent him from throwing a switch after the AI dispatcher set it but before the AI train arrived, since the dispatcher wasn't bright enough to check the switch to see if it was still the way he set it and reset it if necessary the AI train went spastic. In RS/RW all switches, manual and automatic, are locked on the AI path when the scenario starts even if the AI isn't due to spawn from the portal for another two hours - and even then they go spastic anyway, so I have no clue what the automatic switches are even good for in RS/RW. Best way to set up a "simple shunting scenario" is to set up the loose consists in a free roam scenario and write down on paper what you want to do, forget about pickup/dropoff instructions and AI traffic. It ain't realistic anyway, a real work order would be something like "pick up this car and that car and those other cars, make a train preferably in this order since it would then be easier for you to sort them for dropoff along the way". You don't get failed instructions for putting the tanker behind the boxcar instead of ahead of it, or going three feet past the reverse point, or using the right runaround track instead of the left.

If you do change the switches from automatic to all manual you'll find the same problem if there are any AI trains involved, whatever manual switches the AI goes thru will be locked anyway until after the last one has passed. But it would save you the aggravation of needing to set and follow a complicated rigid sequence of Stop At destinations for the player train in a standard scenario. Wouldn't affect the AI traffic since that don't work right anyway.

Thx for your response.

I have tried making a freeroam scenario at Bath Yard, but have been completely stymied when attempting even then to do something as simple as cross from one side of the yard to the other, over the mainlines.

I've gotten stuck on Bath-Templecombe because I'm really interested in steam, and that's about all available right now for steam.

I guess I could go run steam on one of Ottodad's freeroam routes, but running a British engine on the Cajon Pass doesn't enhance the imagery of operating a railroad.

welcome to the ai dept....lol

(there isn't one yet...)

Sniper is right,,despite all the arguments over which to use,,use neither!

-it ACTUALLY doesn't affect it EITHER WAY -either manual or auto, it will lock em up tight, path across and lock more,,it's a mess and it gets hairy

track design and careful planning and work, make it 'ok' but we all can 'hope for real ai in rs/rw, but we most agree, that it would in effect, need the code all rewritten CORRECTLY

cheers

(looks ok to me!)

Quote Originally Posted by gwgardner View Post
    Thx for your response.

I have tried making a freeroam scenario at Bath Yard, but have been completely stymied when attempting even then to do something as simple as cross from one side of the yard to the other, over the mainlines.

I've gotten stuck on Bath-Templecombe because I'm really interested in steam, and that's about all available right now for steam.

I guess I could go run steam on one of Ottodad's freeroam routes, but running a British engine on the Cajon Pass doesn't enhance the imagery of operating a railroad.
    You might be happy with this.

http://www.gtraxsims.com/

Right now, GTrax is talking with RSDL about the best course of action in regards to releasing these steam locomotives, so we'll see what happens.

Default Switches and AI

While crossing the main may present special difficulties, it is possible to owrk around some of the AI problems by reducing the priority of the AI and raising the priority of the driver train. This is done in the "Driver" instruction in a pulldown box. While there are listings for "stopping passenger" and "low speed freight" etc. The labels have no meaning. If the label is higher on the list, it is possible for the driver to "rule " the junction over the AI. Now note that I wrote "possible" ... it is not always so. But perhaps this wil give you a start.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Not in RS

I read that PDF too, tried it out and found it was a flaming lie - set the player train for high priority and AI for low speed freight it STILL locks every last manual switch on its path.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282577