Thread: portals: moving from RS to RW

Default portals: moving from RS to RW

I created a complex scenario with lots of AI traffic in the RS B-SB route. To help performance I added a dozen or so Portals throughout the route so AI traffic exits the scenario as soon as possible after interaction with the player train.

So now I want to use this Scenario in RailWorks. RW_Tools will massage Scenario so that it shows up in RW, and the Scenario opens fine. But, of course, it doesn't work properly because the Portals I added to the B-SB route in RS don't exist in the RW B-SB route -- so, AI trains destined for Portals have no idea where to go.

Is there a relatively simple way to add these Portals from the B-SB route in RS to the B-SB route in RW? I don't mind hand editing files, but I have no clue about which files need editing. Where is the Portals information stored in RS and RW?

I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that RSDL made no substantial changes to the B-SB route, and that if I could get these Portals into the new B-SB route my Scenario will work ok. Or, is my old Scenario doomed?

Of course the other problem is that RW updates may overwrite any changes I make to the B-SB route, but I guess I'll deal with that problem down the road.

Thanks.

Default Hmmmm

Well, assuming they didn't change the Cajon track, you could try it. MAKE A BACKUP COPY of the \Content\Routes\76b3a3f0-c9b0-48f2-9eff-1af9b00166d6 folder, then go into the railsim folder with the same number, the \76b3a3f0-c9b0-48f2-9eff-1af9b00166d6\Networks folder has the track database. Copy the Track Tiles folder and Tracks.bin file to the corresponding place in railworks and see if railworks works.

Markers for pathing player and AI services are being recorded in a route's Tracks.bin and the RW one knows nothing about your changes in the RS version.

If no track changes have been made to the RW version of the B-SB then copying your RS Tracks.bin over the RW one should show them.

But before you do that BACK-UP the RW Tracks.bin !

O t t o
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 07-01-2009 at 09:39 PM.

sniper and otto, thanks. Worked like a charm.

I had only one problem, which I doubt has anything to do with my Scenario or moving the RS Tracks Tiles and Tracks.bin into RW. It's that darn RW bug having to do with memory being at the wrong location or something -- the same error lots of people get when exiting the game, only this time it happened halfway through the scenario.

I'm positive though that your method of moving the Portals from RS into RW worked perfectly, as all of the portals are now there in the RW B-SB route

- Jev

Default Does not work and play well with others

Well, I don't have RW yet, but reading what others writ that's probably related to the RailWorksProc error that so many are getting, last I heard it was first priority for the next patch. Judging by past performance they probably didn't test it thoroughly under the STEAM client and there's some kind of wrestling match going on there.

One thing occured to me; Got railsim, got railworks, go into the

Content\Routes\76b3a3f0-c9b0-48f2-9eff-1af9b00166d6\Networks folder, check the file date on the unmodified tracks.bin. If they're the same that means they didn't do anything to the trackwork on Cajon Pass for Railworks.