Thread: San Diego 'U2' Trolley Cars

Default San Diego 'U2' Trolley Cars

Having got the Surfliner route up and running, I was wondering whether anybody (anywhere) has produced a model of a Du Weg 'U2'car, as used in San Diego? Even if it has not been skinned into the correct red, it would give us a starting point. Given the number of people who frequent this forum, somebody will know.

The route itself installed without a hitch under Vista (I always have UAC disabled - it's more trouble than it's worth), and an 'F7' hauled El Capitan set has made a special trip from LA to San Diego non stop. It's also good to be able to turn loose the Santa Fe RDC's on their home turf.

My thanks to all who have made this route a reality, you have done a very good job.

Rob.
    onen hag oll!

Hi Rob,

off-handedly, I can just think of the B80's by Graphics15 that came with the beautiful U79 route. They're not entirely accurate for a Duewag U2 (e.g. box-style pantograph instead of a Faiveley pan, differences in number and placement of doors).

I recall that Ralf Riemer did some nice Duewag cars of the older design (1960s style - that's the one with a front similar to a PCC), and also a double-articulated GT8C of KVG Karslruhe which would be a nice susbstitute if it didn't consist of three body sections instead of two... However, I can't recall where I got them from (possibly www.the-train.de or www.tssf.de)

About three years ago - at the least - some gent from SD was working on the El Cajon and San Ysidro lines for MSTS, including accurate 3D modells of the U2, but the project was abandoned before anything got published.

That's all I can think of for the moment, and Google didn't find anything tangible either.
    Lukas a.k.a. Swissie

Lukas,

Thanks for your reply. even though it was the one I had feared. Maybe I just have to be patient, and the fact that part of the San Diego system exists in MSTS will inspire somebody with the necessary talent to make one (after they have produced the BA&P motors!).

Rob.
    onen hag oll!