Thread: what happened to the thread on path control?

Default what happened to the thread on path control?

had along thread here on path controll; wonder why it was removed

it was attacked by a troll.
    Josh

Cool And turned into scorched earth warfare

Actually it wasn't the troll, it was all the people responding to the troll, went something like this;

Troll: *%#&@$#!

Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!

Easily Offended: QUOTE "Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!" watch your language!

Outraged Member: QUOTE "Easily Offended: QUOTE "Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!" watch your language!" This used to be a good forum.

Me Too: QUOTE "Outraged Member: QUOTE "Easily Offended: QUOTE "Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!" watch your language!" This used to be a good forum." I agree, this place has really gone to the dogs.

If I was a moderator and saw that Troll said "*%#&@$#!" after someone with some sense hit the alert button, deleting Troll's post would take care of the problem and preserve the thread. With everyone quoting, you end up with so many repetitions of the original "*%#&@$#!" it's easier to delete the whole thread than to try to hunt them all down. It's a part time volunteer job, use some common sense and don't make it more difficult for the moderators.

Actually it wasn't the troll, it was all the people responding to the troll, went something like this;

Troll: *%#&@$#!

Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!

Easily Offended: QUOTE "Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!" watch your language!

Outraged Member: QUOTE "Easily Offended: QUOTE "Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!" watch your language!" This used to be a good forum.

Me Too: QUOTE "Outraged Member: QUOTE "Easily Offended: QUOTE "Can't Find The Alert Button: QUOTE "Troll: *%#&@$#!" hey, you can't say that!" watch your language!" This used to be a good forum." I agree, this place has really gone to the dogs.

If I was a moderator and saw that Troll said "*%#&@$#!" after someone with some sense hit the alert button, deleting Troll's post would take care of the problem and preserve the thread. With everyone quoting, you end up with so many repetitions of the original "*%#&@$#!" it's easier to delete the whole thread than to try to hunt them all down. It's a part time volunteer job, use some common sense and don't make it more difficult for the moderators.
    well i stand corrected. yes the best thing to do is DONT feed the trolls
    Last edited by marr5; 07-06-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by marr5 View Post
    the best thing to do is DONT feed the trools
    That's it. The "path control thread" is not the only one deleted. Now we have a happy troll who has seen the effect of his trolling and he sure will be back with another nick.
    Sorry if i misspell. English is not my native language.

Quote Originally Posted by gwgardner View Post
    had along thread here on path control; wonder why it was removed
    If we did not answer the questions in it then ask again !

O t t o

Default Okay, I'll bite

When are we gonna get control over the path? Actually we're not getting an answer from those who have the answer, because the answer is never. They're trying to keep that a secret so they can sell a lot of games before everyone finds out, so don't tell anyone.

Major problem here, as buggy as the MSTS activity editor was, setting a path wasn't a problem - set start point, reverse start direction, take other exit to get it to go into a siding, place end point save path. Now you can make another service and have it use the same path instead of having to do it all over again, or even insert the exact same service in the traffic pattern to follow at 30 minute intervals. With RS you have to place a new consist, attach a driver, set the destination, add stop at and click all the stop at destinations, for each and every service you want to add.

You know what this is, touch tone telephones. GREAT invention, instead of cranking a dial around you push a series of buttons to make a phone call. Since that's so wonderful how about we apply it to everything? Rip out the gas, brake, and clutch pedals, remove the gearshift lever and steering wheel, drive cars with a touch tone telephone keypad! Rolling down the highway at 60 while frantically punching buttons to stop the drift into the oncoming lanes you fervently wish you had the steering wheel and brake pedal instead, but it's NEW AND INNOVATIVE so what are you complaining about? This is the exact same thing, the world editor interface is great, so let's apply the same interface to the scenario editor? No, it's an entirely different function, would have been a LOT easier to use with a standard 2D map and direct routing. The whole thing is one of them "gee whiz wouldn't this be cool" ideas that should have been stomped out in the first meeting. And then what was the deal with setting the path when the scenario starts with zero control over how far ahead in time and distance the AI trains throw switches? That's what screws everything up when you try to do anything more complex than run a train from A to B on track 4 that never crosses the path of any other train, and even if you limit to that (animated scenery rather than actual "traffic") if there's any choice for train number 2 following number 1 on the same path it goes ballistic and runs off to the fifth dimension.

Chicago Loop, 1898, this is actually a relatively simple pattern, easily doable in MSTS and totally impossible in railsim no matter how many stop at instructions and signals you use. Trains run righthanded outside the loop, cross over and run left handed inside the loop, then cross back when exiting. Interesting pattern with trains coming in from three lines at 10 minute intervals, but even the simple crossover paths would confuse the Artificial Ignorance dispatcher from the very beginning.

In other words, this don't need to be "further enhanced", it's broken and it needs to be fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like I said before, Jim, developers of Train Simulators should have guys like you on their advisory panel and pay them, beta-testing whatever they create to destruction.

Having been a programmer myself and being paranoiac about testing everything I create in order to have an easy life supporting whatever later, there were many times when something slipped through and was not found until a user did something I did not anticipate !

O t t o

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Like I said before, Jim, developers of Train Simulators should have guys like you on their advisory panel and pay them, beta-testing whatever they create to destruction.

Having been a programmer myself and being paranoiac about testing everything I create in order to have an easy life supporting whatever later, there were many times when something slipped through and was not found until a user did something I did not anticipate !

O t t o
    I had a user I gave my programs to. If she couldn't break it then it was ready for production. She just didn't do thing the way most people did. She was a good tester.

Thumbs down No ghetto rats need apply!

They're probably scared cuz I'm from Chicago originally, and think I'd bring my tommygun into all the meetings. Which might be a valid concern, if I had been there when someone proposed flying around a 3D world and clicking on 3D objects to make scenarios was a good idea, I woulda been tempted to whack the guy and it never woulda made it onto the drawing board. Remember this?

http://steam4me.railpage.org.au/trai...rials/ig_a.htm

Just setting up a new free roam scenario is a lot more complicated, and took longer to explain;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=268225

And don't even go into AI traffic, since that's totally nuts.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=268384

Even after you figure out the strange interface it don't work for anything other than simple A to B paths. Thing that irritates me is all the "experts" prating about how it works perfectly for them, without actually testing it thoroughly;

http://railworksamerica.com/forum/vi....php?f=8&t=287

"Never mind!"