Thread: Some observations on Railworks.

Default Some observations on Railworks.

Downloaded it from Steam as an upgrade to RS for $25 . Installed fine, made a backup copy on my D Drive just in case.
    Transferred a route I had been playing with when RS came out first, New Orleans and surrounding area, used ‘-all Main tr-.bin’ as a trackrule.
    After opening it up in RW nothing worked, my signal lights were flashing red instead of being green. Went checking the signal scripts, nothing.
    Finally discovered that track rule is not in RW. Converted all track rule thingies in Tracks.bin to ‘-all Track tr-.bin’ That stopped the flashing red lights.

Building a small scenario I discovered all my destinations/platforms were not available on the route selection. Just a platform next it if I was lucky.
    Somehow every connection to a junction (turn out) misses the red little triangle when seen in track view.
    Solution:

Lay a piece of not connected track next to it, move then engine on it, pick all stops, they come up with exclamation marks but as soon as you move the engine on the original track it shows times.

Portals: Managed to get trains in and out of portals, time and distance are of no influence. At times it works most of the time get !!!!!! . When saving the scenario get runtime error R6025 Pure virtual function call.

Another popular one is memory that couldn’t be read.

Running on a 2.8 mhz dual pro AMD with 2 gig and 2 320 gig hard drives, xp pro 3.
    Because I gave up about a year ago because of the scenario editor had a mediocre video card, now that RW seems to work better bought a Nvidea 9500 with 1 gig memory. Display is impressive at 1680 by 1040
    Worst case get 35-39 frames best case 160+
    Used a larger font on the card 120 DPI instead of 96. Logmate quit running.

All in all it has given me countless hours of entertainment and frustration for $25

Any comments on how to fix the destination selection?https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks

Dick Paauw

Might want to look at this;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=283362

That "-all Main tr-.bin" was originally mine, I stole it from "-all Track tr-.bin", the "PONtrack2.bin" is the latest version of that, which includes US plus all the default European tracks. If you're not getting the red triangles, and instead are getting big red rectangles;

Then either the switch isn't formed properly or the path to the trackrule is wrong. As for the AI traffic, no help, it's designed to run on multiple track mainlines with no train ever crossing the path of another, and preferably on a mainline that doesn't have any switches. Can't do anything complicated with it since AI trains are only designed to be used as animated scenery.

Hey Dick just read your post. Sorry I can't help with any of the issues that you have as I haven't even begun to delve into the WE for RW. I am intrigued by your doing a route of New Orleans. I lived their all my life until after Katrina and was thinking about doing a route of my own. I miss it. I spent many years out on Avondale Garden Rd. and Central Avenue watching trains. Where I live now the trainspotting is terrible.

I wanted to do the entire area from Mobile to New Orleans then to Baton Rouge in RS but was hesitant due to not knowing if MSTS-X was going to come out. The only thing giving me pause now that RW has been released and MSTS-X has been trashed is the Huey P. Long bridge. I don't know how to model in 3D. I can get satellite tiles for the entire route to use as a template though so the trackwork and structure placement will be right.

What areas have you done or are you planning to do? I wanted to include everything. Avondale, the IC yard off of Dickory, The old KCS Yard on Airline Hwy, The CSX yard in New Orleans East etc. Even the Public Belt yard on Tchoupitoulas and the Lower Coast R.R. on the Westbank. It would make for great virtual railroading although it would be a massive project.
    Last edited by Bananimal; 07-07-2009 at 02:00 PM.

I had Mobile/gulfport/new orleans/slidell and to hammond just track no scenery. Deleted most of it in the past 2 weeks. We do have some massive yards though. But until the scenario AI gets better I'm not sure I want to go further. For now I'm quite happy tinkering with signals and trying to trip the 'Dispatcher'. New Orleans station gets 5 trains a day total not exactly a booming bussiness. Slidell gets about 10-12 freight trains a day plus Amtrak to and from Nawlins.
    As i said before $25 bought me a lot of fun hours. I was waiting for MSTS 2 but thats history for the 2nd time.

Take care

Dick

The switches are good, it's just the part coming from the switch that RW has problems with. if you use the 3d path it always skips the first part, when the scenario runs it puts a blue dot there. No red triangle coming of the switch. Took a screenprint but not sure how to insert it here. Thanks for the quick reply

Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images