Thread: AI Sudden Creep Mode

Default AI Sudden Creep Mode

Picture Below
    Castle Rock Route
    Service 3 is AI going to Larkspur priority=International
    The other red arrow is the back of AI Service 7 consist. It is also going to Larkspur but a different place. Priority = Light Engine
    Both start at the same time. Service 3 is a steam service and Service 7 is diesel.
    Service 7 gains speed first and extends the interval to about a mile.
    Service 3 is also moving but initially slowly.
    Suddenly both trains instantly stop defying the laws of nature and begin to slowly creep forward.
    Is this some poor proximity logic?

Prior to the above scenario Service 7 had no destination in the Driver flyout so it did not move.
    In this case Service 3 started and despite a clear alternative path it rammed directly into the back of Service 7.
    This may be a error in the AI logic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

DB,

I hope that you do not think I am preaching to you because I am not. It is just that we have all been where you are trying to learn this program. It has a steep learning curve and it doesn't seem to follow the logic one would expect from a game.

I will try and help you by giving you some quick tips.

Tip #1. Add the show drivers list

Before doing any driver stuff in RW, from the main menu (Where the news is), go to the settings tab. In the box labeled "Command Line Options" click the box that says "ShowDriverList", make sure it has a check mark in the window.

This will add a box called "drivers" to the pop out for each driver service you create. When you click, it will show you a list of all the driver services and if they can complete their tasks successfully.

Any time you make a change to a driver service check this box, do an apply then a refresh to see if the drivers can still do their tasks. If not, the change you made is interfering. If the box shows "pending" hit the refresh again, that just means it is still figuring it out for that service.

Tip #2. Second feature of the show drivers list.

If you click on the name of the service in the drivers list it will put the coordinates of that train in the Navigation drop down at the top of the screen. Click the go button in that drop down and it will take you to where that train is so you can see why it is failing.

Tip #3. To start off with do not use priorities. Start simple. Set all the trains as standard freight until you get a feel for how the program tries to schedule the trains. Once you think you have that, try changing the priority of a train and see what happens.

Tip #4. If you are trying to start trains close to each other using the same path schedule them 5 minutes apart.

Tip #5. The starting point for trains should not cross any junctions or signal. Set the train so it is on one side or the other.

Tip #6. You should never have two trains in the same block of signaled track at the beginning of the scenario.

Tip #7. Use the "Stop AT" instructions to help you see if your train will complete it's tasks. This can also help to show you where the train is failing because it will show !! instead of a time in the task(s). This also helps you to see what time this train will be at a certain area.

Tip #8. Use the "Stop AT" instructions, % and MPH to fine tune the speed of your service. A higher percentage will force the service to stick closer to the track speeds. The MPH overrides the need to stop at each instruction and tells the train to pass that point at whatever speed you put in there.

Tip #9. Think of the AI Engineer as being blind. It relies on signals and junctions to get from point A to point B as close to the time schedule as possible. In yards there are no signals so an AI in a yard is very dangerous. If there is a train or something in it's path it will not care and will run right into it if the junctions or signals allow it. The only time the AI really looks to see if the path is clear is when you are creating the services.

These next few pertain to "Standard Scenarios"

Tip #10. If you are trying to set up a player drivable service then the player service must have a final destination before you can "play" the scenario. In order for you to be able the path the AI services, they have to know where you are going to end up.

Tip #11. When creating scenarios think of yourself as the dispatcher. You are setting the timetables, starting locations and ending locations for all the trains in your world. They depend on you to make sure that their routes are safe and no harm will come to them if they follow your instructions. Once you start them on their way you can no longer talk to them or change those instructions. The only thing they respond to now are signals and junctions.

That should get you started. If you find that the AI start creeping it usually means somehow you have multiple trains in the same block of track. Change your train schedules or increase your signaling to keep this from happening. Once they start creeping, they usually don't come out of it. If they stop completely they are usually waiting and will resume when they can.

Pike
    Last edited by pikehkr; 07-20-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks - I had a few of those in-hand but most were things I never considered. I just assumed if you did A, B would follow.I spent most of yesterday trying various things. Had several error (crashes) which was quite discouraging. Need to stop reverting to the wrong viewpoint and expecting the correct result. Will try it again keeping in-mind all of those quite useful tips.

My creeping trains may have been in the same block since an unsignaled yard separated them.

By the way, if you ever figure out how to get AI to couple/uncouple cars that would really be icing on the cake. I'll set aside some new scenery I am downloading for a nice seaside airport in Georgia, grit my teeth and give RW another go. Still think RSDL wanted to make a simulator and almost went broke. Rail Simulation saw that and stays focused on driving and scenery staying away from the pitfalls of signals and AI. But maybe despite no support something can be fashions yet.

Finally, maybe I need a preacher to give me some choo-choo religion.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by pikehkr View Post
    DB,

Tip #3. To start off with do not use priorities. Start simple. Set all the trains as standard freight until you get a feel for how the program tries to schedule the trains. Once you think you have that, try changing the priority of a train and see what happens.

Pike
    Hi Pike,

I have an AI coming out of a yard and about a 1 1/4 mile down the tracks I'm sitting at a passing siding. Both of us have a green and it's like a standoff. So my question is, where do I set the priorities and will the higher priorities make that AI move instead of me? On the real route the AI would have to go first because the siding where the AI is isn't long enough.

I just can't find the priorities you're talking about unless I'm overlooking it.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat41 View Post
    Hi Pike,

I have an AI coming out of a yard and about a 1 1/4 mile down the tracks I'm sitting at a passing siding. Both of us have a green and it's like a standoff. So my question is, where do I set the priorities and will the higher priorities make that AI move instead of me? On the real route the AI would have to go first because the siding where the AI is isn't long enough.

I just can't find the priorities you're talking about unless I'm overlooking it.
    Scenario mode and double click Driver icon on the engine. The top right flyout shows a list of types of trains. Top is hi priprity last one is lowest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards - Dick

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Scenario mode and double click Driver icon on the engine. The top right flyout shows a list of types of trains. Top is hi priprity last one is lowest.
    Thanks Dick.
    Tom