Thread: ReDem Problem- get no DEM/elevations in game?

Default ReDem Problem- get no DEM/elevations in game?

V1.02
    First time using ReDem in Rail Works. Downloaded the BIL file for the desired area from USGS with a resolution of 1/3NED. Opened the zip from USGS into a folder. Went to Blueprint of the route and entered the Route Start in ReDem. Loaded the marker file. Loaded the DEM file. Did the Create function. Moved created BIN files to the routes Terrain folder. Opened route and hit "T" key. End up with a flat area at the route start and a giant spike whose elevation is way beyond what is ok for the area.
    With no terrain file get a proper grass textured flat area.

Tried loading from USGS by selection box and specifying lat/lons from ReDem. All of the values in ReDem look reasonable for the area of interest.

Uninstalled ReDem and reinstalled. Now it can't find SERZ.EXE. Had to put a copy in the Create functions target folder. Had this when using under RS also. Does not ask where Rail program is.

So after reinstall and more fiddling I always end up with the same thing.
    Last edited by boleyd; 07-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

I didn't need to hit the "T" button. Once I copied in the terrain folder and deleted the .pak files it showed up. I had to do it more than once because I kept missing a step somewhere but I finally got it and it worked great.

Well I thought that your suggestion about the PAK delete might do it, but same result even with a fresh Create from ReDem. This worked fine in RS and I was a beta tester. I think I will try RS again. Maybe if it works I can move the route over.

I did try the BIN terrain files in RS and same wierd suer high walls. Could see the tracks and roads but no rational DEM.
    Last edited by boleyd; 07-30-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

You may want to restart the ReDem process using EXACTLY the directions that were given here at http://www.zugware.com/documents/redem_manual/ . It worked for me, after first trying it on my own unsuccessfully, I realized there were some tricky steps.
    Nick George
    San Jose, CA
    South Bay Railfanning

That is what I have suspected -tricky steps. Still have not found my messed up step. Made a route in olde RS and same thing. I'm in the author's forum so maybe he can pick out my messed up process.
    Regards - Dick

boleyd seems to have gotten a BIL from the usgs site in float format, the first time I've seen that. Until now all the BILs have contained signed integer data.

I'm working on it, need to figure out exactly what floating point representation is in use and then address any Endian issues.

Jim
    Jim - ZugWare!

Exclamation USGS changes BIL data format!

The USGS seamless server now delivers National Elevation Dataset BILs in four byte float format. A ReDem update to handle the float format (as well as the usual integer format BILs) will be out to beta tomorrow with formal release shortly after that.
    Jim
    Jim - ZugWare!