Thread: AEM7 fonts

Default AEM7 fonts

Does anyone happen to know what the aem7 font is for the side of the locomotive??

Well, I will talk to my AEM7, hold on...

He says that he comes in different roads, and each road puts a different font on him. He told me to ask you what road are you asking about.

GBSD70ACe

AMTRAK uses Helvetica.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

In all seriousness, what railroad are you asking about. Like said above Amtrak does use Helvetica. Also what phase of paint scheme are you asking about for which railroad.

GBSD70ACe

Im abit puzzled, what are you asking for?

GBSD70ACe

I'll put a wager to it that he wants the font name used for Phase V road numbers. Probably looking to renumber.

-Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by alx2925 View Post
    Does anyone happen to know what the aem7 font is for the side of the locomotive??
    No, but then again you don't need it. I have a fair selection of numbers from actual photos of AEM-7s in the Phase V scheme. The way I do it is to just "lift" the numbers from the photos and use them. First, you have to "square up" the numberboard, since just about any photo will not be truly square, it will have perspective effects. Then, since I use PaintShopPro X (PSPX), all I do is use the "magic wand" selection tool and limit the selection to the color of the road number, and then copy or promote that selection off the corrected original. Voila, I have a road number.

This is the original road number cropped from the image:

Here I've done a perspective correction in PSPX:

Result of doing the magic wand selection limited to color - since the .jpg format I use to upload won't allow "clear" backgrounds, I've laid the number on a contrasting background. The little bit of grayish fuzz around the outside will actually help the number blend into the original numberboard better, I've found, if done correctly:

Since these are all larger than that used on the NALW AEM-7 texture (I believe) the only thing left would be to reduce it to the correct size and apply it to the texture.

This took me about 5 minutes to do, including looking in my digital photo collection (over 15,000 photos) to find a decent number to use as an example.

I have a pretty large photo gallery of AEM-7s and there are probably a lot of numbers covered. Using this technique, you can mix & match too, you don't have to have a photo of every loco for it to work, just ones with numbers 0-9.

If you tell me what number you want, I'll look through my photos and get you the number.

Also remember that reskins of NALW equipment require approval for upload, and showing images on here (check out the docs with the package). Chuck Schneider is the guy to talk to.

Steve

(PS - if for some reason, you don't like this, you can also hand draw/trace the numbers from photos - I've done that as well, using lines & curves in PSPX. I don't like paying for fonts I'm going to use once or twice, and I've also found that sometimes, they're not even correct - from samples I've seen)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mestevet; 08-03-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Frutiger is what Amtrak uses now.

Yes Kurt is right, I know how to do renumbering now, so I wanted to check first what font it was before I started