Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSX New River Line

Default CSX New River Line

I was wondering if someone would recreate the CSX New River Line between Thayer and Sewell, VW, via Thurmond, W.Va. I would also like the line from Thurmond to the coal mine at Pax, W.Va. if possible.

-callenbt

stephenburr Guest

Smile

It would be nice to see this line when it was in it's prime before C&O became Chessie and back into the steam era. Personally I would like to see the route made from at least Hinton up to the division point at Montgomery where it becomes the Kanawa Division. Lots of mine branches durng that era.

Be careful how you ask however, don't sound like you're demainding something. People have other lives around here.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it freeware or payware, maybe eventually having the entire Allegeheny Division from Clifton Forge VA to Huntington WV. It's a dream of mine, but my time is tight and my patience with route editor and route building skills aren't that good (not to mention being father to 3 kids and 1 more on the way). So I really appreciate the efforts others make to give us such high quality rolling stock, locos and routes. The quality of most is really quite an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenburr View Post
    It would be nice to see this line when it was in it's prime before C&O became Chessie and back into the steam era. Personally I would like to see the route made from at least Hinton up to the division point at Montgomery where it becomes the Kanawa Division. Lots of mine branches durng that era.
    Such a deal I have for you... If somebody would like to pick this project up, I could make the first donation. Nothing is on this route yet, other than some temporary terrain textures.

This was set up to be the old C&O New River Sub. Division points were Handley at the west end and Hinton in the east. I extended the DEM's a little further west to Hampton so that the entirety of the Kellys Creek and Northwestern RR could be included. Also I went a little east of Hinton to include Talcott so that the Big Bend Tunnels on the Greenbrier are included.

There's considerable Norfolk & Western territory all along the north side of the Kanawha and then down Loop Creek to the Ingram Branch and then turning north at Gauley Bridge to get up to Drennen and other places. The C&O branches west of Thurmond only reach to Oak Hill and Mount Hope, or about half way to Pax.

There are branches and strip mines just everywhere, and I finally had to just stop tracing them down. Temporary terrain textures here. You can easily see the shape of strip mines.

The markers are widely spaced and were generated just to make it easy to choose tiles in DEMEX. I have attached the USAPhotoMaps marker file for a head start on mapping the route and making a real marker set. Quickly placed and without much attention to accuracy, but easily fixed up in USAPM.

regards,
    charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm new here, so I don't really know how to ask for things. Sorry. (to stephenburr)

Default Pax,WV

The KGJ&E trackage in the thirties and early forties. Interlined with the Vgn RR at Pax,WV.
    The KGJ&E Trackage, joined the C&O and VGN, in Fayette County, WV
    Today, The CSX is using track for coal only, it only goes to the Pax eastern city limits.
    The picture, shows the Vgn RR on the left and KGJ&E on the right, late 30's or 40's.
    I moved from Pax in the early 60's. I can remember the big steams pulling the Pax grade.
    With long trains, from Deepwater, Page and local stops at the mines.
    I am very happy to have the memories, of the last steam engines on the VGN,about 1955, and then the last runs of the Vgn in 1959. The N&W took over then.
    I would love to see this area modeled in train sim. I am not able to make a route myself,
    strokes, but I can sure help with pictures and info about the area, if someone would want to build it.
    Roger
    PS. sorry about the picture size
    Last edited by Rogju; 08-08-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: size of picture
    Life is short
    Live it well

Quote Originally Posted by Rogju View Post
    I am not able to make a route myself, but I can sure help with pictures and info about the area, if someone would want to build it.
    Well, look at it this way Roger. A little bit of time ago not a darned one of us knew anything about route building. Just jump into the Route Editor and start stirring around. The thing is not nearly as evil as some have said.

If you have a problem, that's what the rest of us are here for. With a little bit of cajolery, I could be talked into extending the terraformed area from Mount Hope down Packs Branch to Pax (why is there different spelling?).

If it wasn't for guys like you, however could guys like me have ever heard about the KGJ&E?

The offer still stands, and as GrandDad would have said, "No Guts, No Blue Chips!"

regards,
    charlie

New river, hmmm with charts and photos, I could at least do track laying.Indeed once you fiddle with the route editor for awhile its not as intimidating.Slow and careful progress is what its all about.If all else fails I could give it a shot.
    M. Payne

Default Will try

Charlie
    Will play with the route editor, and see that I can do.
    The Packs Branch, Sugar Creek Mountian area, was named after the family that first settled
    there, The Pack Family.
    I should have said what KGJ&E, stood for: Kanawha,Glen Jean and Eastern Railroad.
    It as build by a coal operator in Mt. Hope, WV. Because he could not get the C&O nor the
    Vgn to service his mines.
    If you like more history of the area, I will be glad to look it up and send it to you. There is a
    lot history in this area, between Deepwater and the Mullens and Elmore, WV.
    Too much for this forum.
    And if you get to come to the area, tell me when you are coming and we tour the area.
    I think that you would enjoy it. Roger
    Life is short
    Live it well

Quote Originally Posted by Rogju View Post
    I should have said what KGJ&E, stood for: Kanawha,Glen Jean and Eastern Railroad...And if you get to come to the area, tell me when you are coming and we tour the area.
    I think that you would enjoy it...
    Well, it was easy to look up. I first got interested in the C&O New River Sub about 4 years ago on a visit to our National River. Perhaps a lot of people don't know we have one.

After stopping at the Canyon Rim center to see the Gorge Bridge, we went on the Hawks Nest and Gauley Bridge and other places. She's pretty good at picking places to go that also have trains to see.

I'm assuming you would like to have the extension over to Pax, so I'll start to add that. In the mean time, you can get USAPhotoMaps from here: http://jdmcox.com/

Just drop the file I attached in a post above into the USAPM folder and use it as a guide to map the whole thing. If then continue to make more markers, I can import them into MSTS for you.

The reason I prefer USAPM for projects like this is that the USGS map elements used date from several decades ago. If you look at Handley on more recent aerial photography either in USAPM or Google Earth, you won't see anything through there but some CSX double-track and a little evidence of some roundhouse foundations.

Here you can still see C&O and Conrail (identified as N&W a little further on).

If you give me a PM sometime with your e-mail address, I can set up a download link after I get the Pax extension added.

regards,
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Such a deal I have for you... If somebody would like to pick this project up, I could make the first donation. Nothing is on this route yet, other than some temporary terrain textures.

This was set up to be the old C&O New River Sub. Division points were Handley at the west end and Hinton in the east. I extended the DEM's a little further west to Hampton so that the entirety of the Kellys Creek and Northwestern RR could be included. Also I went a little east of Hinton to include Talcott so that the Big Bend Tunnels on the Greenbrier are included.

There's considerable Norfolk & Western territory all along the north side of the Kanawha and then down Loop Creek to the Ingram Branch and then turning north at Gauley Bridge to get up to Drennen and other places. The C&O branches west of Thurmond only reach to Oak Hill and Mount Hope, or about half way to Pax.

There are branches and strip mines just everywhere, and I finally had to just stop tracing them down. Temporary terrain textures here. You can easily see the shape of strip mines.

The markers are widely spaced and were generated just to make it easy to choose tiles in DEMEX. I have attached the USAPhotoMaps marker file for a head start on mapping the route and making a real marker set. Quickly placed and without much attention to accuracy, but easily fixed up in USAPM.

regards,
    charlie
    Does anyone have a closer map of the Kelleys Creek and Northwestern? My dad worked on that line for almost 25 years until it closed in 1993 I want to use a image map of the actual line to reconstruct the line as a HO model railroad.