Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay. How would you signal this mess??

Default Okay. How would you signal this mess??

Alright.
    Heres a picky of a fun set of junctions.

Two mainlines converge, through a yard...

The black arrows indicate direction of travel, obviously.
    I highlighted the switches in Red.

This is worked from a real junction in England. I cut down the spur lines a little though....

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Don't know much about England, but in the US, you'd only signal the mains. Spur tracks aren't signaled, and would get a switchstand.

As it stands, using US practice of course, you just signal each switch. One at a time until they're all signalled. Then go through and try to find a path where your train isn't 100% "protected" and if you do, protect it.

I could go into more detail, such as using three head signals to protect double switches, or using other methods, such as Approach Diverging indications, but none of it would apply to UK practices...

I don't even know what a UK signal looks like...

Robert

As Robert said, signal all the mains. There's more than one way to accomplish UK signaling, and to be honest I'm not all sure what has been modeled in RS/RW yet. Semaphores or Colorlights with feathers would work fine. Semaphores use multiple arms to signal for multiple routes, with Distant arms if warranted. Colorlights would be simpler to setup and more likely to be succesfull. You should use Shunting signals for entrance to the yards and other "off" tracks. Not all of those tracks probably need to be signaled.

Considering the number of switches, you could divide them up into multiple interlockings, with signals protecting all entrances to each one. When placing signals pay respect to the direction of travel. The principal direction of travel of each track will get the fancier signals.

So a T4 on the two inbound tracks clearing at the 4 platform edges would work?

Placed T4 on the inbound tracks just clear of the yard. Placed T4 at the end of the platforms headed back.
    Got red all the way around.

Do you have to manualy set them?.
    Since there are no trains, they should all be green right?
    Last edited by adriansw; 08-14-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Do they have links that need to be set up? (Rightclick on signal, check property page, set links.) They will remain "red" or the most restrictive aspect the signal can display, until you leave the RE. When you come back in, if they're set up right, they'll display "green" or the least restrictive aspect the signal can display.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by adriansw View Post
    So a T4 on the two inbound tracks clearing at the 4 platform edges would work?
    Placed T4 on the inbound tracks just clear of the yard. Placed T4 at the end of the platforms headed back.
    Got red all the way around.
    Do you have to manualy set them?.
    Since there are no trains, they should all be green right?
    I'm not intimately familiar with the signal types available in RS/RW except on Cajon Pass. I just understand how it "should" work. You might seek advice on uktrainsim.com regarding signal types to use and their placements/setups.

My understanding of RS/RW signaling is infantile, but I understand once you get the proper track markers setup and restart the game/Editor, that they should show green.

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    Do they have links that need to be set up? (Rightclick on signal, check property page, set links.) They will remain "red" or the most restrictive aspect the signal can display, until you leave the RE. When you come back in, if they're set up right, they'll display "green" or the least restrictive aspect the signal can display.
    Uhhh, this is RS/RW, Robert.

Oh, yeah, that's right, DOH!

Robert

I think its just because the routes arnt setup yet.
    Once I have a few more stations plugged in, and some AI running. It will fix itself.
    Is displaying red becaues as you said, nothing has passed through the junction at all when I get there.
    I bet if I setup a simple engine to cross the junction and stop at the platform, it will work fine.

So now I just need to add the Entry / exit signals to the junctions and that should take care of the mess inbetween the mainline routes....
    Last edited by adriansw; 08-15-2009 at 02:13 AM.

There is a confession by Rail simulation of an issue with initializing signals. Section 0 of Wiki.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansw View Post
    Alright.
    Heres a picky of a fun set of junctions.

Two mainlines converge, through a yard...

The black arrows indicate direction of travel, obviously.
    I highlighted the switches in Red.

This is worked from a real junction in England. I cut down the spur lines a little though....

Based on my local station.

Each of the platforms would have a route indicating starter. Like these - ie UM, DM, UB, DB,

On the lines running into the station before entering the series of switches there would be a caution/red with platform indicator.

The stubs/sidings would have shunting signals and route indicators.
    Last edited by Dan1; 08-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.