Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four questions.

Default Four questions.

Ok, so I just got done making my series marker file using Google Earth, and I use Mike's tool to convert it to .dscv. I put it in the folder below.

The markers didn't show up, even when I turned it on in the route editor. So I thought maybe if I put the DEM data in, and get it to the correct elevation it'll show up.

So I got the correct DEM data, and put them in the folder below.

I go into the route editor, and press T. No mountains, or anything.

Ok so since about 99% of the problems I have tend to be of my own doings, where did I go wrong?

Finally, when laying down tracks, is there a way to make sure they don't exceed a certain grade percentage? I'd like to be able to set 1.2% as the highest grade on this route.
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Look at the compass above, are you at the correct coordinates?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat41 View Post
    Look at the compass above, are you at the correct coordinates?
    Yes. The cords at the beginning of the route is

The start is in the 35/-82 neighborhood.
    Sean Summer

Just to give you hope I had the same problem was using DEM. BUTT I can't remember what I did. One of those try this and that until it works Nd the markers showup. Note F6 in play mode needed to get names on markers..
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Default Hmmm

I don't think the two problems are related, Otto added markers to the PO&C after it was DEMmed and all the track was already layed, but I don't actually see the markers and I haven't really paid attention to how you turn them on since it's a fictional route. The DEM problem tho;

<OriginLongitude d:type="sFloat64" d:alt_encoding="52B81E85EB7156C0" drecision="string">-82.0000</OriginLongitude>
    <OriginLatitude d:type="sFloat64" d:alt_encoding="F6285C8FC2B54540" drecision="string">
    35.0000</OriginLatitude>

Double check the blueprint has the minus sign for the longitude and you don't have the longitude and latitude reversed or something, also not that if you have the terrain tool paintbrush thing (the logical tool for DEMing) selected it don't work - for the T key to DEM you need the house icon (object selection tool) in the upper left flyout selected, otherwise hitting the T key don't do diddly. Also remember to backup the terrain folder if you DEM a new area later on;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282405

Because computer programs like to trash your work just to be funny. As for the gradient limits, lower left flyout set "snap track to terrain" OFF and use the preset grade tool, don't set it higher than 1.2%. Gonna take a little practice to learn to eyeball it and get close, but you can also use the gradient adjust tool in the upper left flyout to tweak it afterwards.

Wow.
    I must have really lucked out.
    Or maybe it was the beer in my system.

I think the hardest bit was getting into the right area.
    Setting that blasted compass was a pain. I can see why people just go ahead and edit the XML. LOL

Another issue was getting the right Co-ords.
    Converting from h-m to digital was my biggest issue.
    Luckily, google earth has that built in, but some other stuff doesnt.

Gradient issues... Depends if your doing a fictional system or not.
    Since mine is a model of a real system. I have to use the snap to terrain most of the time... But gradients can be fixed easily just by scanning the track and making the right adjustments where you can.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    I don't think the two problems are related, Otto added markers to the PO&C after it was DEMmed and all the track was already layed, but I don't actually see the markers and I haven't really paid attention to how you turn them on since it's a fictional route. The DEM problem tho;

<OriginLongitude d:type="sFloat64" d:alt_encoding="52B81E85EB7156C0" drecision="string">-82.0000</OriginLongitude>
    <OriginLatitude d:type="sFloat64" d:alt_encoding="F6285C8FC2B54540" drecision="string">
    35.0000</OriginLatitude>

Double check the blueprint has the minus sign for the longitude and you don't have the longitude and latitude reversed or something, also not that if you have the terrain tool paintbrush thing (the logical tool for DEMing) selected it don't work - for the T key to DEM you need the house icon (object selection tool) in the upper left flyout selected, otherwise hitting the T key don't do diddly. Also remember to backup the terrain folder if you DEM a new area later on;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=282405

Because computer programs like to trash your work just to be funny. As for the gradient limits, lower left flyout set "snap track to terrain" OFF and use the preset grade tool, don't set it higher than 1.2%. Gonna take a little practice to learn to eyeball it and get close, but you can also use the gradient adjust tool in the upper left flyout to tweak it afterwards.
    Well I had it on the house icon selected, and it didn't do anything.

I'm wondering if I have to have the start cords exactly. The lats and longs are correct and the start area is nearby the first marker of the route, but it's not exactly at the first marker.
    Sean Summer

Did you delete the routes blueprint.pak? Gotta do that or the markers will not show up. Don't think that will help with the DEM issue, though.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Shortliner View Post
    Yes. The cords at the beginning of the route is

The start is in the 35/-82 neighborhood.
    I was looking at your first screen shot and looking at the dcsv file and it only has 1k. I never used the series markers, I only used the named markers, but using the series markers, I would have thought that file would be bigger in size. What type of dems are using, SRTM1 or SRTM3? In you assets folder where your markers and route template are make sure you delete the blueprints pak file.
    Tom

If you are using ReDem the author strongly discourages using T. The stuff is already in Terain folder and that is what T does, DEM to Terrain format.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.