Thread: Grades and Switches

Default Grades and Switches

I have two questions:

(1) What would be the correct numbers to put in the gradient setting in the lower left box for a .02% grade? I tried 20.00, 2.00, .20, .02, and .002. 20.00 seemed to be the most accurate.

(2) I am getting a switch lever instead of a switch stand when I place a switch. This was discussed before, and the TrackMakeover file from UKTrainSim was suggested. Does this solve the problem or is there a fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by classicrr View Post
    What would be the correct numbers to put in the gradient setting in the lower left box for a .02% grade? I tried 20.00, 2.00, .20, .02, and .002. 20.00 seemed to be the most accurate.
    It also depends in which direction your are placing tracks. I think South-North the whatever gradients are positive numbers and negative going the other way.

I am getting a switch lever instead of a switch stand when I place a switch. This was discussed before, and the TrackMakeover file from UKTrainSim was suggested. Does this solve the problem or is there a fix for this?
    First time I have heard of that one. Which Trackrule is this ?

O t t o

Default Elevation, not azimuth

Got nothing to do with compass direction, regular numbers are positive uphill, the minus makes it negative downhill. As for .02% that's pretty much flat, 2 percent is same same .02, or 2 in 100. In US measurements a 2% grade means it rises or descends 2 feet vertically in 100 feet horizontal distance, like everything else the Europeans use different measurements.

This is a "1 in X" track rule, so for a 2% grade you need 2 in 100, no gots any 2s go fish, so if you can't change the 1 part change the other. 2 in 100 is same same 1 in 50, so set it for 50 and it gives you a 2% grade. 1 in 33 would be a 3% grade, 1 in 200 would be a half a percent grade. Easier to use a US trackrule for me;

Where 2.0000 is 2%, 1.25 is 1.25%. There's also some kind of "Mil" track rule in there, but I never figured out how to convert it to shillings and sixpence for further conversion to degrees Fahrenheit so I don't know what that is. As for the switchstands or levers, those are in the track rules too;

Use the split tool on the switch, change the track rule and weld, get a different stand or lever. Don't try it on slip switches cuz they blow up, for those you gotta delete the whole thing and redo it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (83.7 KB, 129 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (86.5 KB, 129 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (90.4 KB, 129 views)

Been a while since I have posted this: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showpo...51&postcount=5

What I meant by positive or negative gradient values being used depending on which direction tracks are being laid, not necessarily according to the compass, I meant opposite directions.

As shown below both positive and negative 5% create the same gradient, the tracks having been put down in opposing directions.

Not easy sometimes explaining something one knows how to do when trying to teach others !

O t t o

Attached Images Attached Images

sniper297,

Your suggestion on grades was helpful, but I still had some questions on switches. Where did you get the high switch stand that you have on your example? I can not seem to find any. There was one file in the Files Section that I could download. Is this it?

Would it be easier to lay a switch, delete the switch lever, and replace it with a switch stand? I was practicing on laying switches, and thought this might work.

Cool Tom Moyers

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    As for when, probably easiest to use a trackrule that includes whatever your main choice for switchstands is while laying track, easier than going back over splitting and rewelding each one. I had to do that when I converted from the Bath switch levers to the switchstands, it's rather tedious when there are a lot of them.
    You can change manual Junction types in a route's Tracks.bin to whatever you want, pointing it's Provider/Product data to the desired switch file *.xml/*.bin Assets folder !

Done easily with the RS/RW_Tools "Find and Replace" option.

O t t o

Question

I downloaded the manswind.zip, but I am unfamiliar with installing it. It looks like I need to place the Switch_Red_Green.rpk in a folder, but where? This is the only file I need to deal with when starting this? Correct?