Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laying Track to a turntable

Default Laying Track to a turntable

A search using turntable didn't help much.

My problem is that I have the US turntable and I am trying to lay track to and from it but it doesn't work. My engine derails when it get to the turntable.

I get the yellow trackmarker to snap into one of the openings in the truntable but It doesn't seem to connect up to the track on the turntable because the train derails. But it is connected to something decause i can't select that track to delete it. I have to delete the turntable and then I can delete the track.

I even tried to adjust the height of the turntable so the tracks looked like they were at the same height.

Nothing I've tried works so I must be doing something wrong and since I have a hard time following instructions; I would appricate any and all help.

Thanks
    Dave

PS: everything is on level ground
    Last edited by LionelDave; 08-21-2009 at 10:39 PM.

I put down the turntable first and then attach tracks to certain connection points of it to lead either into round houses or connect with other tracks, rather than doing it the other way.

Try doing that !

O t t o

Thanks for taking the time to help this new comer. It readlly help keeps me going. You've tried to help me before and will probably have the oppurtinuty to do it agan.

But the real probalem I had was me. I had the "Snap to terrain" button active. (It's the default settig) so once that was straighten out I started snapping to the turntable track instead of the ground.

Thanks again for taking the time to help
    Dave

T/T's can be awkward to lay but this approach usually works:

First lay the approach track then place the T/T nearby but without connecting it. Select an exit track not connected to the T/T deck, then connect it to the approach track using the Join command. Lower adjacent terrain to reveal the well.

So, now there are two diametrically opposite opinions in this thread, which is beginning to resemble the classic chicken-egg conundrum. Third consult, anyone? Scorekeeper?

Tom Pallen

Quote Originally Posted by pallent View Post
    So, now there are two diametrically opposite opinions in this thread, which is beginning to resemble the classic chicken-egg conundrum. Third consult, anyone? Scorekeeper?
    There are many variations of how to do things in the scenario editors and much depends on what exists already.

Starting with bare terrain and then laying tracks is easier than modifying existing layouts.

How about experimenting with placing turntables and connecting it's tracks with others yourself and then report what you find is the easiest to do ?

Much depends on how much you know on the subject and the many undocumented tricks Jim Ward has taught us, further improved on by others.

O t t o

Nice dodge, Otto!

Tom Pallen

Yea, that bloody snap to terrain!!.

What is the validity of having snap to terrain AND snap to track on at the same time?. One should disable the other really?.

But, as far as TTs go. Iv gone "from" the TT out. Then spent a few minutes pulling hair out trying to get the track to join... ;-)
    Steam Nic :- ΞΕZ♠C๐צΞ Fraggle
    Project Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAdrianSW

Cool Harrumph harrumph

The "correct" method is whatever works, turntables can be buggy. But as he already discovered for himself in post #3, "Snap track to terrain" is one of them specialty tools that's not only not used in normal tracklaying, it can actually interfere with the Snap track to track function, no idea why it's on by default when you first install the game. I use two methods, place a turntable near the end of the track I want to connect it to, then F2 to save in case it crashes. Select the join tool and click on the turntable, then click the end of the track I want to connect it to, if it snaps to that track I'm done. If it crashes the program I reload and try again, if it don't work on the third attempt I connect a new track to the turntable, drag to the existing track to make a switch, then delete the small spur section and weld. Then obviously test in game to make sure you can actually drive on and off all exits, once the turntable is checked out it don't develop any bugs by itself afterwards. This one;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=264093

I'm pretty sure was caused by the official packager since all I was doing at the time was testing the newly released packager by packaging, deleting, and reinstalling the route, somehow it made all the tracks EXCEPT the turntables shift. Reason for that, elementary, Watson, turntables aren't like regular track.

Here is how I place a turntable and connect it to existing tracks.

O t t o