Thread: No Switch

Default No Switch

In the red box, there is no switch connecting the bottom track and the track above it. This little error is sending my locomotive flying when I try to leave the yard to go onto the Mainline.

Is there anyway to fix it without redoing the entire yard?
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

The switch is not really created. You should see complex guiderails in the switch as a clue it is ok. Non-level ground is one usual cause.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    The switch is not really created. You should see complex guiderails in the switch as a clue it is ok. Non-level ground is one usual cause.
    Well something is causing my locomotive to first fall through the earth, and then fly up into the sky. So far I think it's because I don't have a switch there lol.
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Default Split and weld

First item is what Dick said, "Non-level ground is one usual cause", usual cause of many track problems is the default settings which have "Snap track to terrain" turned on. That's a specialty tool only used for situations where you want the track to follow terrain undulations, for normal tracklaying you need Snap track to terrain OFF, snap track to track ON so it automatically connects to other track. Snap track to terrain interferes with that unless the ground is perfectly level, as another guy trying to connect a turntable already figured out for himself before I saw the question.

As for fixing it, isolate the bad section with the split tool and relay the bad sections.

I used one of the default US tracks with the missing end of track bumpers since that's the usual reason why bad connections ain't apparent, with European track you get a bumper set ("buffers") at the breaks. With the track tool selected in the world editor you can see the big rectangles over bad switches, smaller rectangles at the end of the track or at bad connections. These small red rectangles serve the same purpose as the MSTS blue poles, indicate the end of a continuous track section.

To isolate the bad section use the split tool, how close to the good switches you need to go depends on how much room you have.

The magic that forms switches needs elbow room to work, so I chop and delete all the sections between, lay a new unbroken stretch to give it a clean "ribbon" to connect to.

Since I deleted the yard switch base in the process, I select the weld tool to see if I can reweld it, got a gray box to click on so it's aligned for a weld. An aside here, this is another common mistake, many people use the Join tool to try to reconnect track, that's another specialty tool for a different purpose. The Join tool connects one end and disconnects the other because it physically moves the section being joined, the Weld tool connects only when the pieces are already aligned and doesn't move either one.

After welding the base of the second switch everything looks good here, except in the distance there's another derailment point I need to deal with.

Best tip, check for those rectangles as you're laying track, if you see one that isn't at the end fix it before going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.0 KB, 61 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.3 KB, 61 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (78.1 KB, 63 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (84.8 KB, 63 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (80.6 KB, 62 views)