Thread: Critique Wanted

Default Critique Wanted

One of the things I want to do with my route, is to not only create realistic shortline operations within the Appalachia Mountains, but to also show off the beauty of the mountains. One of the ways I'm doing that is making the track go around the mountains instead of tunnel through.

So, could I have some Critique on this curve please, and advice on how to make it better or more realistic? Thank you very much.

Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

Its a very nice curve.
    Kinda hard to see though.
    It doesnt look very even though?.
    Maybe the easement tool would help, or is that not an issue since the speed limit will be low?.
    Steam Nic :- ΞΕZ♠C๐צΞ Fraggle
    Project Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAdrianSW

Default Tennessee Pass

http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/rw-downloads/

Good example of a windy twisty mountain route, lotta fun, some screenshots here;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=285348

When I start mountainizing my route you can bet I'll be stealing ideas from THAT one!

As for whether your curve in the cut is good or not, depends on what you're looking for - cliffs look cool in some places provided you don't have spikes, jaggies, and sharp edges all over. For more rounded contours try running the smooth tool over that with the brush size set for 50 to 80, then reduce the brush size to 10 to 12 closer to the tunnel faces. Run the magnet over the track again to unbury it, and move that tunnel entrance further into the hillside so there's no gap. Few old threads;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=264104

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=263973

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=264082

OK, you guys got me interested in Tennessee Pass, so I downloaded the three files in Otto's download list. I had one error message on the route install, but when I ran it again there were no errors. The route is in RW, the free roam loads, but the world is black and no tracks show. I have checked all of the boxes and deleted all the pak files to no avail. What am I looking for?

Pete Bauer

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    OK, you guys got me interested in Tennessee Pass, so I downloaded the three files in Otto's download list. I had one error message on the route install, but when I ran it again there were no errors. The route is in RW, the free roam loads, but the world is black and no tracks show. I have checked all of the boxes and deleted all the pak files to no avail. What am I looking for?
    No idea.

The route has been downloaded over 1600 times to date and there have been no reported problems running it, apart from a broken track I have supplied a fix for.

What did the error message on install say ?

O t t o

I don't know what is going on. I downloaded TPB4A and installed it. That gives me ground textures and track. Everything looks OK, but it is such a big route I haven't begun to test everything.

Otto, do you think I should re-apply tennessee-pass-4-rw again? It doesn't have an Assets/JL folder, is that an error?

Should I re-apply the track fix? What are the coordinates of the original break?

Any advice would be appreciated. This looks like one of the finest routes I have ever run in any train simulator. Very challenging for the engineer.

Default Asset pack

According to the RouteProperties.xml file for this;

<TerrainBlueprint>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    <BlueprintSetID>
    <iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    <Provider d:type="cDeltaString">JL</Provider>
    <Product d:type="cDeltaString">TP</Product>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cBlueprintSetID>
    </BlueprintSetID>
    <BlueprintID d:type="cDeltaString">Environment\Terrain\Texturin g.xml</BlueprintID>
    </iBlueprintLibrary-cAbsoluteBlueprintID>
    </TerrainBlueprint>

If you don't have an \Assets\JL folder, then you don't have \Assets\JL\TP\Environment\Terrain\Texturing.xml (actually texturing.bin, it always says XML for any file extension) and therefore won't have the ground textures. Need to download and install the asset pack again, make sure you get a JL folder with all the subfolders.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    Otto, do you think I should re-apply tennessee-pass-4-rw again? It doesn't have an Assets/JL folder, is that an error?
    After having expanded the tennessee-pass-4-rw.rar into a temporary folder, this is what it contains:

Check it's README and then do what it says.

The separate Switch Stands and Tracks Fix downloads have to be installed the same way in that order.

O t t o

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Otto. That list is very useful. My download did NOT have the JL asset folder. I must have gotten a corrupted download. I am downloading again.

Pete

The new download looks like your list. Everything seems fine. Thank you.

Pete