Thread: Pitch Black Night - With new cloud effects, signal lighting and headlights

Default Pitch Black Night - With new cloud effects, signal lighting and headlights

Hi all,

Well I enjoy creating lighting effects, and enhancing anything to do with night time! So, recently I have been creating some new night environment textures for MSTS for that more realistic night time train driving

Firstly I created a new set of Signal Lights (both textures and Config files) that were brighter than defaults and had a slight glow effect. Next, I modified the default colours of the red, green and orange/yellow as I see these are slightly off the real world colours, so I updated these to a more realistic effect.

Then I modified the sky environment settings, to create a truly pitch black night. So now at night, you dont have that very dark blue tint, but rather total blackness as in real life.

OK, here are some shots, let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Mark

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Anthony

I noticed (after some friendly suggestions) that 00000000 or FF000000 make it pretty black in the .env files.
    However, it's not dark like that all the time, just on a cloudless, moonless night really. But, it sure does look cool doing some night time country running!

Neil

Hi all

A couple more screens showing enhanced signal lighting. The red light now has a a hint of pink in just like real life and the green is slightly more in the turquoise colour range.

Set 1: Brighter Circular Lighting:

Set 2: Brighter Circular Lighting with Glow Effect:

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Next, I modified the default colours of the red, green and orange/yellow as I see these are slightly off the real world colours, so I updated these to a more realistic effect.
    Yes, most of the signal lamp colors setup in MSTS are horribly off, or just horrible, period. Your new colors look pretty good. You might consider posting your RGB values for others to try and use.

Here the RGB values I like and have adopted standard on my signal sets.
    Base Colors/Colorlight Signals:

• Red = 255 40 40
    • Yellow/Amber = 255 180 60
    • Green = 112 245 188
    • Lunar White = 245 250 255
    • Warm White/Clear = 250 224 180
    • Frosted White = 250 248 248
    • Blue = 130 200 250
    • Violet = 204 153 255

Searchlights:

• Yellow/Amber = 255 166 60
    • Green = 30 230 130

Position-Light:

• Fog Yellow = 230 185 65

Color-Position-Light:

• Green = 112 255 163
    • Lunar White = 240 250 255

Electric-Light Semaphores:

• Red = 250 46 46
    • Yellow = 255 190 60
    • Green = 112 245 198
    • Lunar White = 211 228 254
    • Violet = 188 40 245
    I may tweak some color values for some special signal sets, such as older ones.

In modifying signal lamp textures, the best way to achieve the best visibility effects for day or night is with a custom-mipped texture, like the Maple Leaf Tracks "SigView" texture. (Or, create your own custom-mipped texture, with the glow halo you're wanting.)

Hi,

Thanks for sharing those values, I will see if I can post mine soon.

Regarding my glow effect I created a new texture for this to replace the default SigLight file.

Mark.

How to set this black night texture in open rails