Thread: Fixing the track

Lightbulb Fixing the track

Got some bad switches and don't want to start over, using the split tool to isolate and then delete the bad sections saves you from having to relay the whole smash. For this example I'm redoing some slip switches. Nothing actually wrong with the slips, except that unlike regular switches you can't replace the lever/switchstand just by splitting and rewelding with a different track rule.

These are single slips, but even so they're made up from a dozen little pieces. To avoid getting a muddy mess I use the split tool to isolate the slip switches and the crossover diamond, note that one of the straight pieces here starts from the center of the diamond where the previous weld split it, so that has to be replaced as well.

I split and delete all the little straight pieces on the cross tracks, and also use the split to chop out the mains further back to give all this some elbow room to work.

Snap track to terrain is OFF, especially here on an elevated structure that would interfere with this whole process. Snap track to track is ON, since I want it to reconnect automagically. That part takes some practice, best is to move the camera viewpoint closer to the end you're trying to connect TO, gently wiggle back and forth until you see an apparent connection then click. If you don't get a good joint (red triangle) hit the undo button and try again, if several attempts don't do it then reverse direction, start from the second piece and see if it's more willing to snap to the first.

Now that I've replaced all the bits and pieces with long unbroken straight ribbons I can do the welds again. Don't be confused by the red rectangles in these pics, those DO usually indicate bad track connections, but in this case they're the ends of the lofted bridge sections underneath the tracks. Single click on the gray cube gives you a diamond if the crossing tracks are straight enough and have a long enough unbroken ribbon, the second click on the same cube will give you a double slip switch if the track rule you're using allows a tight enough radius for the angle of the crossover, and again if there's enough unbroken length for it to generate all the switch parts. Click on the gray cube and hold down the mouse button, move the mouse back and forth if you want a single slip instead of a double slip.
    Attached Images Attached Images