Thread: Scenario Creation Frustration

Default Scenario Creation Frustration

I have attempted at least a dozen times to create a scenario in RW that seems to be fairly simple. Player train goes direct from Barstow to San Bernardino. No stops, no pickup or setouts, nothing to confuse the program. All the AI traffic is running opposite of the player train (headed for Barstow), again no stops, etc. for the AI traffic as well.

So far I have been unable to add more than 6 AI trains without the program crashing. Often it will crash while I am in the editor attempting to place an AI train on the track. Sometimes I can get out of the editor and start the scenario, only to have it crash randomly anywhere from a minute on into the run.

Is there a limit to the number of AI trains that can be moving at the same time? any suggestions on why this is happening?

What is the purpose of this inane box that opens up saying "something bad" has happened to the program? What a stupid idea that is! Tells me nothing of substance.

Frustrating . . . .

BTW my computer is more than capable of running this game.

Rich K
    See my pix at RailPictures.net
    Visit my web site The Railfan Gallery

Default Something good has happened in your program (riiiiiight)

Rich,

Everyone understands your frustration that has ever tried to create a scenario. It just does not follow human logic. I suggest you search the forum for help and tips on AI and scenario creation.

The something bad has happened error. I have never gotten that on the San B route. I have gotten it on other routes and usually it is caused by some kind of missing asset or an error in some file associated with the asset. If you have not changed the route at all I would think it must be related to the engines/rolling stock you are using.

I'm sure there is a limit to the number of trains you can have running but for sure it is greater than 6.

You say you can start the scenario sometimes and then it "crashes". That is pretty generic. Define "crashes". You get an error message and what the error message is. The program drops to desktop... etc.. It always says "Something bad has happened"..

Pike

More than 6 AI is definately achievable.

I did a scenario in RS on the ECML route ( York - Newcastle ).

It had 41 AI succesfully running around.

cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by pikehkr View Post
    You say you can start the scenario sometimes and then it "crashes". That is pretty generic. Define "crashes". You get an error message and what the error message is. The program drops to desktop... etc.. It always says "Something bad has happened"..

Pike
    Whenever the game crashes while running my scenario I hear a single ding sound, the video freezes, the game audio continues, and pressing ALT-TAB reveals the infamouse"something bad" worthless error notice (I always run full screen).

If it crashes during an editing session it is usually just as I set a consist on the tracks. On these occasions I get the RailWorksProc has stopped working error.

I have done complete reinstalls of the game and all of my rolling stock several times to no avail. The beat goes on . . . . .

Rich K
    See my pix at RailPictures.net
    Visit my web site The Railfan Gallery

Default save save save

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_K View Post
    If it crashes during an editing session it is usually just as I set a consist on the tracks.
    Rich ...

This is "normal" for RS/RW -- I mean the crashes during scenario creation. Without exaggeration, if I work for 4 hours on a scenario, at least one full hour of that time is spent rebooting Windows/RS/RW. Pain in the friggin behind.

The best advice I can give you is to save frequently when editing. Make the F2 key your friend and save after every change/addition you make. I think you will see fewer crashes.

A quick check with RW-TOOLS might show something.
    Regards,
    Dick