Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost 30 Minutes of Work

Default Lost 30 Minutes of Work

I became to absorbed in what I was doing and forgot to hit F2. As a result the inevitable memory zero error hit yet again. I had just made a copy/paste group of vegetation and was placing a copy when it happened. Fortunately I had LogMate running. So, once again, I dutifully reported the problem with a picture of the error and an attached log file. Maybe I need to set and egg-timer to remind me to F2 save.

Now for my rubber room rant: I feel that as a customer of Rail Simulation I have zero influence. I am beginning to agree with those that believe the reports are a black hole or there is no one that can make changes in the core product. I strongly dislike a person I have never met and that is Paul Jackson the boss at Rail Simulation. His new "code of silence" really makes me quite angry. Is there any hope at all for a fix to address this problem? All I can do is speculate and, after yet another failure, that speculation is far from favorable.

Fortunately for Mr. Jackson I will never be able to fully express my immediate anger in this public forum. Instant banishment would the the result. I say fortunately since some of his revenue is directly dependent on what prospective customers read here. In the past I have counciled that negative comments will drive some customers away and thus hurt us all. Right now Paul Jackson is on the verge of driving at least on existing customer away with his secretive policies.

I do not want to hear yet again about this is how it is in the gaming world. I am not playing one of the dozens of look-alike blood and guts games. Simulations, in my view, are quite different with a very multi-faceted set of functions that require close interaction with the customer base. We no longer have that.

So, normally at this time I would delete this message and restart Rail Works pledging to use F2 more often. But I am fed up spoon feeding a company that no longer seems to care about existing customers. I reject the pacifist council of just wait until they get over the transition. I am still waiting. Grrr....
    Regards,
    Dick

Sounds like you would be happy with the MS approach.

"sorry about that we are working on a fix for the problem".....

the fix is one of the following:
    1- a new os that works out the box... until you start installing the patches.
    2- a patch that fixes the problem, but creates two more.
    3- smoke! that right, just a few well chosen words to make you feel better but that mean nothing at all.
    4- oh, we stopped supporting that product last week, have you tried upgrading.
    5- theres nothing wrong with the software, it must be a hardware problem.
    6- the complaint is posted on msdn, where nerds convert it to klingon, then start correction the spelling and punctuation, but not the problem.

I like the egg timer idea though.
    but some kind of software thing perhpas?.
    Where RW can create an "auto save" ever 15 minutes. Not overwriting your actual route, but a sepperate file that you can "recover" from if the system does crapout on you.
    Steam Nic :- ΞΕZ♠C๐צΞ Fraggle
    Project Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAdrianSW

I am not sure whether running LOGMATE on some computers at the same time as RW is a good idea, poking it's nose into what the CPU is doing and RailWorksProc.exe having memory access problems of it's own ?

Just a thought !

I am eating out every day in a local pub, because living on my own doing any cooking is not an option anymore, eating too much of what I have cooked and like, contributing to my heart attack 5 years ago.

This pub had an excellent reputation all over Bristol for good and tasty food at reasonable prices, a Bavarian friend and his French born wife provided with the help of capable chefs.

After they sold it 3 years ago, the new landlady had no idea as far as good food was concerned, losing most of the pub's regulars and had to sell it a year later, the new landlord not having done much better.

Once a business has lost it's reputation then it is a hell of a job getting it back again, especially at times when people can not afford to spend money on rubbish.

If anybody wants to know all about the Rail Simulator or Railworks then all they have to do is to GOOGLE for them or read comments posted on sellers web sites like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1 not beating about the bush about the not so good of it !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by adriansw View Post
    Sounds like you would be happy with the MS approach.

"sorry about that we are working on a fix for the problem".....
    At least.
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    I am not sure whether running LOGMATE on some computers at the same time as RW is a good idea, poking it's nose into what the CPU is doing and RailWorksProc.exe having memory access problems of it's own ?

Just a thought !

I am eating out every day in a local pub, because living on my own doing any cooking is not an option anymore, eating too much of what I have cooked and like, contributing to my heart attack 5 years ago.

This pub had an excellent reputation all over Bristol for good and tasty food at reasonable prices, a Bavarian friend and his French born wife provided with the help of capable chefs.

After they sold it 3 years ago, the new landlady had no idea as far as good food was concerned, losing most of the pub's regulars and had to sell it a year later, the new landlord not having done much better.

Once a business has lost it's reputation then it is a hell of a job getting it back again, especially at times when people can not afford to spend money on rubbish.

If anybody wants to know all about the Rail Simulator or Railworks then all they have to do is to GOOGLE for them or read comments posted on sellers web sites like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1 not beating about the bush about the not so good of it !

O t t o
    Lots of stars at Amazon. Maybe I should have bought my copy there. A 23 year veteran of a railroad gave max stars and said it was very realistic. Amazon must sell an updated version.

Looks like another mistake by Jackson, an alleged lover of rail roading, when he used ECO discs. Put some milk on them and eat for breakfast. Of course you have to like eating bugs.
    Regards,
    Dick

Exclamation Warning, your route will self destruct in 30...29...28...27...

Could be worse;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?t=239681

I lost six months once, people sometimes ask why there were 10 MSTS versions of PO&N numbered 1 to 6 and 8 to 11, what happened to version seven? Stealth bugs, as in the kind that don't show up until you've done a lot more work in another area.

As for "pacifist' I haven't turned pacifist, I just don't see any point in hollering at the bus driver about making up lost time on the schedule while he's in the middle of trying to get it out of the ditch we're stuck in. Once the wheels stop spinning and we're moving again THEN I'll start screaming psychotically about other stuff.

Meantime I'm killing time and shifting back to railsim when it gets really stupid. After the latest STEAM update I shifted from RS back to RW, placed and linked half a zillion signals in Chicago yesterday with only a couple crashes, then this morning while replacing a signal in the subway it kept crashing repeatedly so now I'm back in RS.

For backups, if you're running in a window it's easy - have two copies of Windows Explorer open, hit F2 to save, then copy the a3472cf5-d2e6-4377-9a29-57f5b36eda79 (or whatever it is) to the backup.

Default Which Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by boleyx View Post
    Lots of stars at Amazon. Maybe I should have bought my copy there.
    Which Amazon site are you talking about? The U.S. site does not have any listings for RW and only a few for other (unnamable) rail simulators.

Just curious...

Tom Pallen

Default Looky Linky

Link he posted was for Amazon UK, they got a link you can click on to buy it. This is interesting;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3HR9...R3HR97FNURJ7I9

Juy 6th, only two months ago, but Vern recently gave up hope that they were ever gonna fix the AI traffic and went back to Trainz. Dick, why don't you write a review and see if they got enough asbestos to post it?

Asbestos causes mesothelioma. Plus I think you need to buy the digestible DVDs to qualify for a review opportunity. I just had 4 trains from a portal emitting every minute and going thru a rail yard back to another portal to disappear. NO signals en-route. If two trains approached the same switch in collision mode one politely stopped to let the other pass. If a created train found an old one on its normal path back to a portal it took a longer path. In 30 minutes, with a peak of 4 trains at once, no crashes. No signals clearly says that AI has a mind of its own.

Need to try that later this year on RW.
    Regards,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Link he posted was for Amazon UK, they got a link you can click on to buy it. This is interesting;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3HR9...R3HR97FNURJ7I9

Juy 6th, only two months ago, but Vern recently gave up hope that they were ever gonna fix the AI traffic and went back to Trainz. Dick, why don't you write a review and see if they got enough asbestos to post it?
    Vern gave it four stars on Amazon UK too, much regretted, done while my blinkers were still on and I really thought they had improved it. Unfortunately while you can edit a review on Amazon, there's no way of revising your rating once it's given. Gone back to Trainz for quite a few reasons, but it will be a cold day in hell before you see me produce anything again for RS or RW.